jacknz123 1962 Suzuki MA50

jacknz123

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers guys, unfortunately the piston definitely does sweep past the pitting so I will look at getting it bored in the next couple of weeks. I gave it a go with a hone I had lying around but the pitting is a bit too deep.

In other news the new cables that I ordered from ebay have arrived. Pretty stoked at $40 for the three coming all the way from England. The are the real deal made in Japan ones from the 60s too.

evqgp2th.iio.jpg

• Like 2

I was recommended a brand from a company called R2 by a guy nicknamed Klinky in CHCH that does a lot of 50cc projects, I'll dig the info out

Edit :

Here 's the info,  Japanese  pistons called TKRJ and they are stocked by R2 Enterprises in AK

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get access to this cool old sunnen precision honing machine to sort out the cylinder. Took it from 41.76mm to 42.07mm in about an hour. All ready for the new piston, can't find a supplier for the tkrj piston as R2 doesn't sell to the general public. Plenty of namura ones online so I may get one of them looking to find a supplier in Chch that I can pick up from. Got rid of the majority of the pitting and can't feel the remainder with my finger nail so should be fine

kqptu0eu.bhn.jpg

11dniaxs.m3w.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys not much of an update sorry I finally got my hands on a suitable piston kit was difficult finding a suitable size in NZ I ended up getting a tkrj one off a guy here in Chch who advertises on trademe. That all fitted up nicely and is back together with new gaskets.

4swznvrn.v1q.jpg

The other thing is does anyone know if they are the current owner of this bike? I will need to get it registered soon and realise that it probably needs to be in my name to do so.

• Like 1

Shit that must of been the same guy I brought it off. Can't remember his name either 

EDIT I just changed it into my name online, does that mean has already released the ownership?

DOUBLE EDIT I just bought rego for it online $100 for a year cos its old!

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get a full day working on this yesterday. Put the new throttle, brake and clutch cable in along with new levers. Clutch doesn't jam on now when it is engaged which is sweet. Also did some more work on my voltage controller and put it in an enclosure. 

I wired up the key and starter solenoid and went to fire it up.... unfortunately with the top end rebuild there is now too much compression for the electric starter to turn over  :cry: . So you can see in the attached video I have to give it a hand by spinning the back wheel haha. 

I also whipped up a seat for it but it doesn't look as good as I thought it would. Does anyone have any ideas for seats?

vqwwxvxo.3go.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry picture less update. Sorted the starter issues, turned out to be one of the brushes wasn't properly contacting. Also wired in my voltage controller and am getting a solid 12.6V out which I am stoked with! Is this high enough for charging the bike battery? I just copied the output from my battery charger but it is easy to adjust, only a matter of changing the number in the computer code.

Just minor things to sort now - mount number plate and make a wiring loom for horn, headlamp, brake light and indicators.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the requested video of the electric start. Have been riding this to uni a bit which is easily the highlight of my day. I am also continuing to improve aspects of the bike but it is great being able to ride it in between. I put a new front tyre on as the tube was beginning to bulge through the old perished one. Next on the list is new brake pads as the brakes are pretty marginal and other minor boring wiring stuff to sort.

This will probably be the last update on the project as I consider it pretty much done, kind of glad to be honest as this bike has definitely been a bit of a challenge. Big thanks to all the guys who helped out  along the way, especially Kempy for helping me with the electrical side of things, if it wasn't for you this bike would still be sitting in the corner of the shed in pieces. 

mmmm what to do with my spare time now?

• Like 5