jacknz123 1962 Suzuki MA50

jacknz123

also when we contacted this guy up north with a really mint one, looking for wiring info, said we were in christchurch, he guessed i was part of QCR and said he would kill us for what we do to classic mopeds

Hahaha yea I stumbled upon that guy too, thought he was my mate until he tryed to sell me a wiring diagram for like $40. No worries with the condenser she works a treat. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

$250!!  tosser.

Looking good so far, what did the yellow connect to?

Blue- Neutral switch

Black- Points parallel with condenser

Red- Charge feed from stator/large field coil

Green- Field Coil for controlling charge current.

Yellow- Field Coil/stator for starting

Edited....

Hope I'm right, making a bunch of assumptions here.

I was going to suggest something just like that and a relay for the stater field coil, you might need an additional relay for the stator as well as I dont know what current is going though the red wire.( and possibly a hefty diode)

Is the reg totally stuffed? wouldn't mind looking at it so I can get an understanding of how exactly it works, or a bunch of close up pictures.

Youll need to check the max voltage input for that charge controller, at high revs some of these bikes put waaaay more than the 6v they were designed for.

Only other concern is that on 12v, you may eventually burn the stator, starter field coil out, but you may get away with the momentary use it gets

What i think we will have to address is that the charge field coil normally has 6v to generate the 1.21Gigawatts to charge the flux battery, this field coil is turned on/off by the regulator when required.

In the new scenario it will be on permanently and have 12v on it, I's suggest a regulator to drop the charge field winding to 6v, or at least a current limiting device.

handy with electronics?

Ok,  I think we have a design now that may work.

After investigation it appear that both field coils and the rotor join on the + side of the rotor, that to regulate the field coil we need to control the -v supply to it.

I added a 2nd relay as there is already a b+ feed to the + terminal of the rotor and it needs to be disconnected so the current cal flow through the start  coil and the rotor in series.

Once we have this working we need to sort out a current sense circuit so the rotor isn't permanently powered by the battery.

sl0n2ngi.4zy.png

Perhaps not, because then there's no way to energise the field coil unless we relied on the collapsing field to keep the field energised long enough to sustain generation??

If we can disconnect the field winding and place it on the other side of the diode this should work as done in this diagram, thoughts???!?

4knttjaw.jhi.png

What I don't like in this circuit is that it keeps the generator stator connected all the time and acts like a DC motor running all the time, I assume this wouldn't be a good idea? I think there needs to be a cut out.

We could design the cut out to open a relay contact once the current drops below a pre-set level which would normally indicate battery is full or no load, but then if there's no current flowing the generator will stay permanently off because is isn't generating anything to create any current flow from the generator.

Argh!

Are you sure we cant fix the old regulator?

• 2 months later...
Alright to for an update. I have been making progress with the charging system. I decided to go down the arduino route as you can see in the photo below. The arduino basically reads the voltage coming in via that shitty brown thing with resistors on it. Then the arduino does some proportional control adjustments and changes what the green dc motor controller outputs to the electromagnet in the dynamo. So far I have just tested it with a drill turning the crankshaft at about 500rpm and it produces a maximum of about 8 volts. Hopefully with the bike running at around 2000rpm it will be capable of producing the 14volts needed. Massive thanks to Kempy for explaining to me how it works/what we are trying to achieve. Otherwise this wouldn't have been possible.

jveqbuhx.atu.jpg

I also ordered a gasket set from ebay but when I took the cylinder off for a look well...

mwmk13ln.g5w.jpg

cq2vi3g4.ax2.jpg

Looks like I might need a rebore / new cylinder. Looking at the JR50 cylinders as they have the same bore and stroke and a complete top end can be had off ebay for $100. If I get the current one rebored I will likely need a new piston to fit it anyway. Anyone know of any others that may fit?

• Like 2