jacknz123 1962 Suzuki MA50

jacknz123

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 0.5mm oversize piston was not originally in the A50 engine. My guess is that the barrel has not been bored before as this piston is fairly tight in it. Might take the barrel into a machinist and see if I can get it bored out. Does anyone have any recommendations in the chch area? 

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has been slow lately due to uni exams but they are over now so back into it. Gave up on fitting the A50 engine, it isnt going to fit without a welder (anyone want an A50 engine?). So I'm back trying to sort the issues with the original engine. They are pretty much sorted I had to cast a new cluch worm from the original one but the clutch is stiff as and the drive engages when the lever is pulled?? Also pulled it to pieces and started stripping the paint.

v5kbs31b.tj2.jpg

Bought it for $80 so would be stoked with that however I would be open to any reasonable offers now I know it needs a bore. Would also swap for a pair of back shocks, someone has done a rough job of hard tailing this and I would be keen to put it back to stockish with suspension.

• 2 months later...

Time for an update. I have been busy prepping and painting the individual parts. Put a por15 tank sealer kit in the tank to sort the leeks and bogged up the dints. Was going to go with the same sort of blue but couldn't find the right rattlecans so went with beige, pics below

0h3z020m.vax.jpg

ft5wpuoz.2hl.jpg

xjhhtmtf.cy2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have just about finished getting it all back together, need to shorten the stand to suit the shortened springs in the shocks! I got started on the wiring today and have sorted the electric start and coil running off of the key. 

I also took a look at the charging system which is pretty interesting because it is really just a dc motor being spun to generate power. There are two wires coming out of the engine for the charging system one red and one green. If I hook a 12v dc motor up to each wire they both spin the motor however the green wire sounds like it is loading up the engine more than the red one. Could this be like a heavy duty and light duty charge system? Do I just need to wire that up to a 12v regulator and then to the battery?

Any help would be great here is a photo of how it looks at the moment.

hwgxnzjz.y4r.jpg

• Like 1

In the photo on the previous page there was a yellow wire, is that still attached?

To me, it looks like from the diagram that there's an ignition coil feed (to the - side of the coil and probably goes to points?), a charge light feed (d) , a motor feed (M) a field winding (f)

A close up pic of the motor would be useful, as well as the internal wiring of the regulator.

Probably similar to this buick reg.

I found this page just now that seems useful  http://www.dansmc.com/genstarter.htm

GeneratorWiring-1958Buick_small.jpg

Looking awesome man! No help with the wiring though sorry, I had all sorts of problems with it. Those generic scooter/motorbike 12V regulator units are regulator/rectifier so require an AC supply and don't work with the DC feed. Went to jaycar, turns out it's not all that easy to get a roughly 13V regulator at the right wattage. You will probably need to either fix/replace the existing solid state regulator unit or get something custom to replace it. Someone else might have some better advice though!

Cheers for the replies guys here is a close up of the dynamo. The thick yellow wire is the start wire, the black wire is the spark wire which leaves the red and green wires for the charge light and the actual charging. I am guessing that the green wire is for charging as this provided more current to the dc motor that I tested them with. 

The old voltage regulator looks completely shot so I would like to replace it with something new and solid state. Basically it looks like I need a voltage regulator, a current regulator and a cutout relay to prevent overcharging. 

5q1io4ck.dnf.jpg

man i cant wait to finally see this thing going. fond memorys of the one time i rode it, running total loss battery power, pulling the throttle cable from the carby, glancing at the speedo thinking im doing about 20kmh, thinking it feels way faster, and realising that the speedo sweeps backwards and i was doing closer to 70

ok so we can ignore the black wire, its the ignition coil feed as suspected (I assume there's a seperate ignition coil somewhere?)

Red is the windings on the rotor ( Motor/Generator).

Taking a wild stab in the dark here, without ever seeing one of these in the flesh or knowing what's inside, I'm kindof suspecting that there's some permanent magnets inside, and in addition a field coil to boost the magnetic field for starting?

What does the green wire connect to, i cant quite make it out.?