flyingbricks HZ Ute- success

flyingbrick

20141002_172523.jpg

Spent an hr in the shed tonight finishing off the cabin front with the rust arrest paint. Found some more fresh steel patches in the usual problem areas (good to see)

I needed a choke cable and decided to use a cable and slider from the redundant heater system. After a little cable trimming it works perfectly so that's yet another item off the list.

20141002_195717.jpg

20141002_195656.jpg

I also thought I'd show you guys this as people are always very impressed by how well it works.. Its a 3 cell 3500mah lipo on a 12v led flood lamp from SCA ($40)

Usually have the battery on the bottom so its more stable but it puts out more light and runs for longer than any other portable work lamps Iv seen.

An expected bonus is that when voltage drops dangerously low (which would usually kill the cells) it will switch off patches of LEDS and then eventually turn itself off... Not bad at all!

20141002_173109_1.jpg

Now, question time.

Do these big carbs suffer icing issues in winter time? My little Mira used to conk out 5 minutes from work till the carb had thawed, haha. Please comment in the discussion forum :-)

• Like 2

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flyingbrick

Top Posters In This Topic

HUGE thanks thanks to Zebra Dude (Ben at Zebra parts) and Threeonthetree for sorting me out with a pair of leather Volvo seats for an AMAZING price.

People like these two are what make Oldschool.co.ng such a great place and without them (and everyone else who has lent a hand so far, some not on the forum here) I wouldn't have considered taking on someone else's project.

Xoxo

• Like 3

So these are the seats. Bit nicer than the current ones.

IMG_170184966430277.jpeg

Made up my own thingie so I can drive the oil pump to build pressure before first start

20141007_165038.jpg

Made up some female hosetails so I can plumb the oil cooler into my heater lines (using it as a heater core)

Unsure why they look so wonky in this pic.

20141007_165137.jpg

Cleaned up the old badge and filled it in with the wife's nail polish. That shits awesome for stuff like this.

20141005_213011.jpg

Probably won't use it as I want a big old torana badge

Also mounted the radiator. Yaaaay.

• Like 2

One of the perks of working for an engineering type place with a car crazy boss is that he's super generous with the homer side of things... Gave him dimensions of the 16 doubler plates I need to mount my seats and I pretty much all he said was I'LL GET IT SORTED.

Half of them will be drilled for the bolt and have a nut tacked in place. The other half will have the center hole plus two additional holes for plug welding them together.

The previous owners had mounted the existing seats with large pieces of flat bar under the floor.. While possibly legal it was very very ugly!

As per other thread I have been busy trying to find the best deal for all the new bushes required. I did think there were new bushes up front but nope!

Also.. I have a panel beater cousin who is now entering the world of fiberglass. He's made a few doors for someone and is now begging me for HQ parts to mould and produce. He was sure he could do a front valence for me BUT mine is in such a state its not a valid plug candidate. Instead I'm going to get him to pop me out a new tailgate skin. I guess I'll just cut off the existing skin and bond the new straight one in place. Weight reduction hahaha :wink:

I'll also make him a plug for the plenum grille piece as want another that isn't vented.

IT RUNS! decided to pull finger out of bum.. Put rotor into dizzy.. Primed oil pump with a tool I made from spare dizzy, found tdc of #1 by turning till finger blown off plughole and then stopping at 0 degrees on balancer, slotted dizzy into place and set leads etc using Google. (All while wife was out with inlaws going for a walk) then otherdad gave me a hand to pour gas in and kick in over.. Bruuuum!

Such a good feeling to see a little life in it and stoaked that I managed to get that dizzy in so easily (I'm an efi kinda guy...)

Now to run fuel lines!

IMG_33127472535973.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Gee theres nothing I hate more than pissing money away on little boring bits- they always cost more than the pieces look like they should!

20141019_134547.jpg

I have removed my choke cable and locked it open again.

Vk327 drilled and tapped those aluminium drink bottles for me to suit 6mm pushlock fittings.. That's my radiator overflow and window washer vessels done- my stock one was fucked.

20141019_134559.jpg

And lastly- a previous visit saw threeonthetree donate this grille piece. I have bonded it to the board with a few blobs of bog then sealed all gaps with rapidfiller (its odorless, easy to use and suits plug forming perfectly)

I am sealing the grille with celotape and will take a mold soon.

As I'm only making one piece from fiberglass and I don't mind taking the time to sand and finish it nicely I will NOT be putting much time into the plug.

20141018_211248.jpg

• Like 1

So my interior lamp in the ute has a smashed lenses and while sifting through boxes of parts today I found a spare with a good lense. Not cracked but not transparent either

I also found part of a rear tail light and since the idea of using a bunch of leds appeals I did this during shortland st.

A bit of silicone can hold the lense in since LEDs won't need replacing again during my ownership.

I love DIYing and reusing junk!

20141020_203906.jpg

20141020_212744.jpg

• Like 1

Brush on paint stripper plus a little chemico in a rag =

20141022_201308.jpg

Also bought more bushes from Auto one in Morrinsville. Great guys and bloody great prices. They sell on TM as discussed in other thread plus are distributors for everything they sell so their prices are the best around.

They also sell nolathane and whiteline which I discovered.....ARE THE SAME BUISINESS! just different color plastic.

Unbelievable. .:-)

20141023_163351.jpg

• Like 2

This weekend has been a bit of a pooper due to various non car things happening but I did get a bit done.

The fuel hard line is done from the cabin back, and my heater core has been mounted in place. I found some pretty heavy gauge very stiff wire (actually its part of the tailgate latch assembly i had spare) and bent up two clips which hook into four holes in the core. I used grommets too so there would be no rattles.

Super clean, light, simple and very secure now that they are welded in place!

And holy crap was that welding in a bitch of a place.

Been stalling on the rear bushes because it looks like I need to pull the springs out and use a press because too stuck for my puller. Sadface.

Here's a pic of my interior. I mentioned earlier that I smashed my glovebox assembly.

Actually am nearly convinced its not being replaced and that I will trim the gauge surround off at the same height. I don't need anything contained down on that lower tier so why not?

Obviously I'm not at all concerned with it being a showcar.

Oh.. Mates sussing me out a good deal on an extreme exide battery, I'm leading the bid war on some ford Torino side mirrors AND i have some heavy gauge 7 core cable coming for my front loom (truck/trailer wiring)Excite!

• Like 1

Fucked my rivet gun so bought a decent one with adjustable head off TradeMe.

Managed to haggle a good price for a NOS front valence half and have to try secure the other half on eBay Australia... So bloody expensive.

Also bought some clips and headlight adjuster things off rarespares (ten bucks cheaper than kingswood country)

I have completely blown any budget on this thing. Probably within the first week haha. I thought I was pretty good at assessing things but all the small broken clips/ pieces needed plus tooling being bought to do random shit adds up scarily fast.

• Like 1

Pics.

New(ish) front valence half. Modeled by mechpro.

20141031_100521.jpg

A few pics of my cut down dash. Still to trim lower support structure.

20141029_185555.jpg

20141029_185823.jpg

Not everyone's cup of tea but

IMG_89979032805641.jpeg

Clips for brake lines and headlight lense.for some reason all of mine are either broken or missing

20141031_100241.jpg

Also..shit pic of heater mounted. Need to plumb ducting. Fans not installed in this pic.

20141027_200451.jpg

Discuss in discussion

I realized I could hide the plumbing to my two bottles by using straight fittings which pass through the sheet metal below. Glued them in with chassis adhesive to make sure the thin threaded aluminum wouldn't strip.

I ditched the pushlock fittings because they were a bit silly. Boring photo.

20141027_200339_1.jpg

I have a drivers side valence half in good condition coming from Australia. For some fucked reason there are stacks of LEFT NOS valence half's but no rights anywhere to be found...such a pain.

Rare spares want Huge Money for theirs and they are glass! Such a rip.

I CANT WAIT to get this thing done.. Wondering now if I should get a larger thank than 40l (or just fit the old tank in the new location even)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got a flash new battery for an extremely good price thanks to another mate with connections.

The cable is 7core usually used for wiring tanker trailers. It will do a tidy job of wiring up my headlights and stuff (I hope..the whole switched negative thing confuses me)

There are new headlight plugs to replace the current very old ones

Getting there!

20141114_200006.jpg

• Like 2

Went shopping at jaycar after realizing i could get stuff there for cheaper than even TradeMe. I found these excellent relays with integrated blade fuse so got some in 15a,30a and one without fuse at 60a to switch the radiator fan.

Unfortunately I forgot to get heatshrink FFFFfffffffffffffffffff

20141116_150837.jpg

Had a few bourbons while watching a sparky friend crimp lugs onto he power and earth cables...

Then had a few more drinks and riveted down relays for high beam, low beam, horn and fuel pump. Need to get another matching relay for my fans as they don't need 60a (and I like how tidy they are with fuse).

He's going shopping for me this week at one of his suppliers to get me heatshrink covered crimp connectors and a fancy ratchet crimp tool.

I also gotta find where this things fusible link is plus find how the body is earthed to the chassis. As per photo I have gone battery to motor to chassis...guess I need to add nosecone and body earths to chassis also. I hadn't thought much about those as im used to unibody things where every individual part is not isolated by rubber bushes.

Is it good practice to also earth the radiator itself? Something something electrolysis?

Anything else worth earthing individually?

20141123_184409.jpg

• 1 month later...

The front end has been driving me a bit bananas. I was not too sure how it all went together and panel gaps were yuck.. It had to happen eventually so...

20150104_150951.jpg

I hadn't noticed but I am missing brackets from each front corner which sort of tie everything together. That was problem one.

It looks like an L shaped bracket with two bolts on each end. Anyone got a pair laying round?

20150104_175009.jpg

Secondly, the mounting surfaces that hold the top panel thing to the guards had kinda been splayed apart and stretched. I think it has happened because of the lack of those L brackets. I straightened the edges up and pulled out the DA to clean back the paint so I could weld up an ugly crack..

How many times has this been painted!

20150104_175935.jpg

20150104_175943.jpg

Welded up etc and turned black by crc rustkill. I think I'll cover all bare metal in this stuff until its time for paint. Everyone has said its a better option than zinc black.

20150104_185632.jpg

One of the reasons fitment was so poor is the million layers of paint haha.

So..this battery clamp was so cheap from aliexpress it wasn't worth missing lunch to make my own. I bead blasted it and my aliexpress window cranks to get rid of the horrible colors.

20141230_145311.jpg

20141230_191351.jpg

Then i got jew and ran a die over some stainless rod to make the tiedown hooks so I didn't have to buy any.

To shorten build time I might just throw a bench seat in...hmmn

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuckin lost my post twice.

Got new indicator stalk ordered from kingswood country as mine was shit.

Put bead on fuel hard lines with earls ez beaded tool

Got rubber snubbers for threeonthetree and I to make traction bars

Got new rubber doofer bonnet stop things

Ordered gauges from speedhut

Ordered ABS plastic to modify gauge surround

Got panel beater cousin to grab me a bunch of second hand firewall grommets out of their front cuts (handy!)

Sold my 40l fuel cell for 160 bucks then paid 170 for a brand new zinc coated 65 mustang fuel tank (DELIVERED). Fits between the rails at the rear VERY VERY NICELY and holds nearly twice what the fuel cell does (ppl made me nervous about it)

Have since found out those tanks are very commonly used on Chev trucks because of their great shape.

Wanted a cheap plug set for my new front lights/fan/horn loom. Found 8 pin computer PSU molex plugs to be readily available for 18 bucks...then bought a PSU extension lead with both plugs for 5 bucks, bargain. It will sit under my dash all wrapped in self almagamating tape so more than suitable.