Wylde's '84 Holden Statesman DeVille series II

dr.wylde

This has now become a rebuild thread BUGGER SHIT DAMN!

I went and picked up the DeVille from the exhaust shop  yesterday  it sounded so good with a new pipe and muffler cruising home ( i live 10 mins out of Oamaru)

2 kms off home the faint tick that the 308 has disappeared. I was like YES SWEET no more ticking the lifter has freed itself up 10 seconds louder it came back louder with a vengeance TICK TICK TICK 

limped it home parked it and today i spent my time taking off all the intake hoping it had a shat a lifter

nope its rounded off the intake lobe on pot 6 

Bugger

there goes my plans for the next week or so. time replace and maybe with something a wee bit warmer    throw me some ideas guys as the stock 160hp is a bit boring

anywho cos pictureless updates suck heres where i'm at with today

camshizz001.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hello weirdos

Over the last few weeks when i have had the time I've been busy on the Stato 

I decided that removing the nose would be a safe option and would reduce the risk of damaging the front end should something catastrophic happen while the engine is being hoisted out.

Statesman's have a buttload more wiring and gear (aircon , tranny cooler and a fuckin massive relay )

every wire and bolt has been tagged,bagged and labeled and put in a box for safe keeping 

308removal002.jpg

but first. my lovely Ma brought my rims down from wellington for me this week . i had originally intended to fit them to my ute but i sold it

308removal001.jpg

also i Have a set of commodore rims 14x 6.5 would any of you early commodore owners/bogans be interested in them? they dont come with tyres

make an offer

308removal003.jpg

anyway i started to lift the tree of hate out of the car 

and in typical OS tradition i thought i'd join in  an give an air guitar shot for ya's

308removal004.jpg

I also slapped on a Hubcap on the front wheel looks good I reckon will have to give the rims a lick of paint  and the hub caps a polish

this is the point where i stopped taking photos but the engine is out and on the stand. The heads are off the bores still look reasonably good and its still rolling the factory slugs. actually apart from the cam this timepiece of an engine has faired really well over the decades that and its coated in oily grime.

thats all for now 

please discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44998-wyldes-84-holden-statesman-deville-series-ii/

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK! 

We last left off with and empty engine bay!

toriand308006_zpsdf0d116a.jpg

at the present moment. I dont have any bits for my shitty mig welder so there will be no extractor fitment just yet. 

as some of you know the blue/black 308s have a retarded flap on the drivers side exhaust manifold which when shut forces spent gases back through the head and through a passage under the intake manifold and exits through the passenger side  this helps with better fuel atomization at the expense of power. So my thoughts where to remove the retard butterfly flap for my red engine. I then proceded to remove the manifold and i was greeted with this

toriand308017_zpsdbb3f43f.jpg

well waddaya know some GC has done it for me

^^^^ please excuse that last blurry photo didnt realise it was so blurry

anyway.. moving on

I then got the new engine ready to go in  the sump that came with this engine had been painted on the inside. I'm not cool about that sort of thing so i removed it and fitted my one from the blue engine after giving it a quick coat of black. 

Those tall rocker covers were cool and all but they were bloody rusty, Thankfully I had a spare set of chrome ones left over from my scrapped 253.

toriand308018_zps61490be7.jpg

all the original pulleys, cruise control diaphragm, water pump ,engine mounts were fitted and the oil pump re-primed as it was full of grease ( following Neal/ 3onthetree's advice I'ma use vaseline) 

Then I refitted the engine  and what a prick that was in full humidity an engine crane not designed to be operated on gravel and the car and engine being on an angle to each other however I got it done .

toriand308020_zps9894d480.jpg

toriand308022_zps80ccc389.jpg

Yeah its in now!

toriand308023_zps631dfd0f.jpg

I'm Fuckin' Happy with that!

MAYTE!

stay tuned weirdos I want this driving before Xmas!

discuss--------->//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44998-wyldes-84-holden-statesman-deville-series-ii/

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ok!  I didn't get this car driving by christmas as I had to work on christmas day. (Stink) But every spare moment i had was spent on the statesman. Eventually it began to look like a car again so finally my driveway looked less like a trailer park

statoreborn001_zps764a7173.jpg

got the nose fitted and  the mrs fitted the lights while I was at work

statoreborn003_zpsdbdbb702.jpg

Got the manifold and carb on as well as ALL! the plumbing ( word of advice dont own luxury early pollution engined vehicles everything runs of a vacuum pipe which is a total mindfuck)

statoreborn004_zpsb8f5acb8.jpg

oil,fuel set the timing and battery in , cranked it over, turned over four full revolutions before it fired .got running oil pressure came up to spec nicely within 10seconds lifters pumped up and yeah sounds so good. I'ma happy.

on a different note here is a shot of the factory head/tape deck for you holden foamers

statoreborn002_zpscc382de1.jpg

and a shot of my rear seats

statoreborn007_zpsbb589b61.jpg

every door has a ashtray and ciggie lighter

statoreborn008_zps45eb585e.jpg

I believe I had a little race on with Flyingbrick and Shaz  who could get there holden going first!    I think i might be winning!

Hope you lot had a sweet Xmas

cheers

The Doc

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well! its been Fucking ages since I last updated this.

still no WOF

no Reg

no nothin!... such a shame... well not quite

on the 2nd of May I got married. so I trailered this up to Lake Ohau for our wedding. 

where both this and my Brother inlaws HZ suffered from overheating problems so they were more just there for show than anything else

DSC00905_zpszwnjgnvt.jpg

for the rest of May I tried to figure out why it kept overheating turns out it was a BHG 

more on that later

cheers guys

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Well I'm pretty fuckung useless!

however I have some progress. (If you'd call it that).

As per my last post This thing had done a head gasket. Turns out whoever the fuckwit was who assembled the engine (not me I just bought it as a complete engine) didn't fit the head locator dowel thing on the rIght hand side rear of the block this was the cause of all the boiling  and coolant dumping into the sump. so yeah.  Had to replace those.

Also fitted an electronic choke Now it runs like a swiss watch.

Now something has been slowly fucking me off about this car have a look!

sabbath%20050_zpstis3dzo3.jpg

Not so noticeable in this photo but shit it obvious IRL. -its the ride height. namely the rear end  I always thought the front was low for a supposed "standard" car. but the rear end takes the cake

so now Ive been spending some money and I bought some of this shit.

sabbath%20068_zpsfwlbxctz.jpg

2inch lowering springs for the rear 

a new electric ariel (someone has removed the motor from the old one(seriously! why the fuck have people being doing half arsed shit with this car)

new outer weather strips front and rear to stop my doors filling up with water

and a new bailey channel to eliminate the whislting sound while driving.

and...

sabbath%20069_zpssrnhgcsy.jpg

chrome door strikers

will hopefully be fitting it all on the weekend.

Have more plans in the pipeline for this. 

please discuss--//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/44998-wyldes-84-holden-statesman-deville-series-ii/

• Like 3

Would of updated last night but Botophucket was not available.

Anywho yesterdays progress on the lowering job. Take note of the Lovells springs box beside the car in relation to height/ drop

before

2inchdrop%20003_zpsftyypwp2.jpg

Boing Comparo

2inchdrop%20004_zpsyqla9y2v.jpg

not too much difference half way through the job I got worried if there would be any difference (would of felt like a right dumb cunt if i swapped in the same type of springs).Also took the gamble and Didnt buy new shocks to match good thing I didnt as the springs remain captive when car is jacked up- score i suppose 

Also found the rear shocks are Bilstein units.  Cool! no pics of them yet as I didnt have much time

and the final Result

2inchdrop%20006_zpsabuhkojl.jpg

As you can see shit be lower so quite happy with that. had to take the Towbar off to shut the garage door still then only have a  Bee's dick clearance front and rear of the giant sedan

More yet to come

Cheers

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok so as my last post This failed its WOF.

A few minor things it failed on and of course the big thing which was rust

My neighbour down the road offered his services for rust repair so I took him up on his offer.

we picked the scab on the C pillar

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20038_zpsxc

and then found it had another rusty hole behind that one

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20040_zpsat

SO.. Open it right up and cut the nasty shit out and weld in some new steel

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20047_zpsoz

Nice!!!

Seal that shit up so it Dont rust Again!

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20048_zpsma

and repeat

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20049_zpsmy

and the end result

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20065_zpsgp

Neighbour charged me a Box of Beers and a Hundy for his time.   

next the door..

• Like 4

Right the Door this was just a simple Fill the hole type job

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20039_zps6t

latest%20photos%20aug%202016%20042_zpsqf

Thats all I've got on that part

right so I've sorted most of the other Wof issues but however due to work commitments I will have to pay the $50 again for another Warrant - Oh well

also managed to get the Air con compressor working again. However wont be gassing it just yet as the Vacuum operated heater tap control isnt doing its thing properly ( I put a new tap on it but it still dont work right!

• Like 3

• 7 months later...