• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Make sure there is only one rubber sealing ring inside the block housing - sometimes the old ones get stuck there when changing the filter which will cause a leak.

Fitting a spin-on housing makes filter changes much easier. These can be found on Mini's and maybe some 1100/1300 engines. You need the shorter studs from the donor but otherwise they bolt straight on. I've put one on my Morris and it is nice.

Later ADO16s came standard with the spin on filter I think. My '75 Austin had one and it hadn't had many owners when I bought it (in the late '80s before they were retro and cool) so I'm assuming it was standard. I have to admit to forgetting to remove the old seal ring when replacing the spin on filter once. Two seal rings together do not seal very well. Fortunately I noticed straight away and had another car to use to go and borrow a filter wrench to unscrew the new filter instead of hammering a screwdriver through it.

Yea we can get a whole new spin-on housing + filter + studs etc for about 60$ so might just do that for peace of mind. Taking out that extra seal and torquing it seems to have fixed it for now but it's pretty sketchy not being 100% sure.. don't really want to drop all our oil and wreck the engine.

how's your fan set up? 

was looking at pics including the one of the engine straigth out of the bay sitting on the pallet, then this one

http://i.imgur.com/h64hsKK.jpg

when it was on the pallet the fan blade was on backwards, but this pic shows the fan fitted straight to the belt pulley, then the alloy spacer fitted over top, although this time the fan is fitted the correct 'way round' from what i remember.. 

you want the spacer to be on in between the pulley and the fan blade, and the fan should sit into the radiator shroud quite nicely.

love this thing! between you jokers and guywithaviators, you've got me pining for an ADO16

• Like 3

how's your fan set up? 

was looking at pics including the one of the engine straigth out of the bay sitting on the pallet, then this one

http://i.imgur.com/h64hsKK.jpg

when it was on the pallet the fan blade was on backwards, but this pic shows the fan fitted straight to the belt pulley, then the alloy spacer fitted over top, although this time the fan is fitted the correct 'way round' from what i remember.. 

you want the spacer to be on in between the pulley and the fan blade, and the fan should sit into the radiator shroud quite nicely.

Yea it's definitely on the correct way now, may have been wrong on the pallet and for the stand photo we just threw it on quickly for looks.

Nice work guys. Once I get a WOF we need to go for a drive!

Yeah dude definitely, I take it you can't make it to the meet tomorrow night then? 

• Like 1