mtbtimr & Sammy1222's 1972 Austin 1300 Discussion

mtbtimr

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suck it and see. For the price it'd be hard to go wrong. The stock single carb you have should be good for about 90mph depending on what diff ratio you are running. Mine used to sit on 70mph sweet as with the trailer and the only modification was a mega oversize rebore cos the bores had huge lips and the block was pretty rough after sitting outside for some time with the head off it. Still ran the stock single carb and cast manifold.

• Like 1

The Vizard book is a great one for A-series tuning.  Here's what he says about that manifold

"although it may seem difficult to design a badly flowing manifold for the Series A engine, it has been done, and here it is the standard Leyland item"

In practice a HIF44 single on a matching manifold is probably a better choice.

I'm still running the stock 1 1/4 on my 1098, but have a twin SU set on a different manifold on a shelf somewhere, mainly because the twin carbs look better :)

Link to the book - not a bad price actually with free shipping

http://www.bookdepository.com/Tuning-Series-Engine-David-Vizard/9781859606209

• 4 weeks later...

wheels look rad! are you gunna paint the flares or leave em as is? 

Thanks dude! They are pretty manky so will definitely paint them. Originally were gonna match them to the car but the white is kinda starting to grow on us.. 

We are just about to finish exams so should get some more work done over the next few weeks. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If I were you I'd leave the clutch cover in bare alloy.

It would probably pay to use some proper alloy primer stuff, I've never had much luck making paint stick to them for very long.

Also looking at the oil cap on the rocker cover, it would probably be a good idea to replace it.

If you give me a PM we could talk about setting up some sort of a deal for ordering parts through my work (classiccarparts.co.nz)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...