KPR's 84 chromelux discussion

Stu

seems to be good so far.  its super heavy at slow speed and offroad. felt fine from a quick drive on the road.   got the ps pump mounted, but pulley  was in the way of  the bottom radiator hose.  so need to sort that before can hook it up

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh I've come across the early 2l differences before to. After I cooked the first early turbo 2l in my surf I put a NA hilux 2l in, turbo gear, boost compensater mods, intercooler, big exhaust, lots of fuel (always maintained good egt) went Really well for what it was. But non stop towing tandem trailers and 33s slowly but surely killed that to. 1uz sorted all problems. 4age idea cracks me up! But awesome...

4age probably not the wisest idea.  but with some motivation on the side and a bit of a diet it should work...    

so much room but in all the wrong places,  none of my manifolds fit.   also engine mount location is pretty amusing

dsc02932s.jpg?w=900

And I guess swapping in the 4ages = two inch lift front lift :lol:

will you supercharge it? I'm just thinking its got enough power but  if you come off the boil from 8000rpm or whatever, falling down the torque cliff is the issue e.g. wheels spinning in mud then suddenly gain traction causing rapid change in wheel/engine speed and you bog back down. almost wonder if it would work well with a slushy convertor/autobox where you can just keep the pedal mashed regardless of gearchanges.

will likely have sweet negative rake happening, with the 4a in there.   the flat deck probably weighs more than the whole chassis, going  by how much steel is in it! so that has to go.

having a big rev range over the diesel, will hopefully work out to be an advantage.  being able to get a least double the wheel speed in the same gear, will be able to use a lower gear /  

just done some rough calculations.  max wheel speed; 1st gear 4age will be between 2nd & 3rd gear  with diesel, 2nd gear will get close to 4th.    going on 4000rpm from diesel and 8500rpm 4age.   so should be able to use the torque from the gearing, and the revs to  get me places.  maybe!

no auto's and no superchargers.

• Like 4

7a is for suckers.  just use more revs

What's the bet that he will iteratively improve every part of the car until it ends up being a starlet :D

This is awesome.

This is why the Trueno is back on ice, I was pretty much building the starlet again. hilux is breaking the vicious cycle, of making the Trueno better than the starlet and vice versa. or even worse; just plain boring me to death building the same car twice

hilux  i can drive over shit, starlet cant.    starlet goes around corners  hilux does not.     these things will never change.

• Like 2