Danger's 1984 Ironhead Roadster XLS

danger

Some of you may know of my desire to get away from building cars and build custom bikes instead.

Today I won an auction for these at an awesome price! 1-1/4" and 1-1/2". Just what I needed!

324266918.jpg

Will fabricate up a bender and I'll be good to go. These forming dies for a proper pull-bender cost a fortune new.

Next step will be a frame jig once I've made some more workshop space.

• Like 3

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1-1/4" seems to be about industry standard from what I've seen. I take your point but I don't think it looks overkill and it'll get me started.

kraft.png

Just had my new mikuni carb kit turn up from the states. Took a week and it's lush. Came with manuals, extra jets, manifold, K&N filter, throttle cable and lowbrow customs catalogues.

mmcruzbt.lxc.jpg

It even came in a lush box that looks like something Manu would send his christmas presents in

wtkms31y.hd4.jpg

• Like 8

So I was gonna fit the carb tonight but i'm in town and all my tools are in my workshop not at my flat so I was missing sockets to get the old carb off. Anyway I also fitted new (correct) plugs and a fuel filter then thought fuck it i'll take it for blat without the airfilter. 

HOLY SHIT it's a different bike. Front wheel was lifting in 1st. Not running 100% but so much better. Dunno if i'll use the mikuni now or stick with the Keihin and tune it with a new filter.

• Like 1

Began fitting the Mikuni tonight, not happy with how far it sticks out from the tank.

0kio32dp.5na.jpgxfvkmkyv.pzk.jpg

Right in the way of my leg to ride with my feet up.

Options are:

Add some tube to angle the carb forward. I dont like the idea of sucking hot air off the front cylinder though.

Change the manifold and filter to recess it back, something like this:

mikuni_vm_38_carbs_for_harley_davidson_1

Or just sell the thing and rebuild the old keihin. If I keep the mikuni I'll still need to get a new throttle cable made up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...