Danger's 1984 Ironhead Roadster XLS

danger

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10398676_10152314758813789_1633578191920

Clocked up a casual 200kms this arvo after giving it new engine and trans oil. Set the tappets too, these things are so awesomely simple to work on.

Took the exhaust shields off as they were a bit rattley and theres already too much chrome.

Keen for some forward controls and maybe some bigger cams next

• Like 2

Just some 20w/50 GTX and I used harley primary and trans oil in the trans with a new oil filter from HD. The engine took like 4L which surprised me a bit.

Found out my year has an electronic ignition too which is a bonus. From what I've read, 80-85 Ironheads run EPA friendly detuned "Q" cams. The older style "P" cams are a straight swap and make a ton more power. Haven't really pushed it over 80MPH so far. Just cruised.

I have some shorter evo rear shocks on the way to drop the back a little. May change the top shock mount to fit the mounting hole on the chrome on the rear fender too.

Nah went through the local HD Dealer. I think the oil was $16 for a quart which is plenty and the filter was $20.

Got the evo shocks off trademe for $200, think they're 11 inch.

Hanmer would be sweet. Will see what the weather thinks about it closer to the time

Hardtail looks sweet but dunno if would suit my bike with the big tank and all the chrome. Plus would mean making/buying a new oil tank and seat etc

Got offered a custom softail frame set up for a new twincam dirty, dirty cheap which has me thinking. Would be sweet with a crashed donor bike from turners or something.

I dunno about the Hardtailing aye . Makes a bike quite small . Can't wait to ride with you bro. We should do a bike rally half way between you an me

Dunno about that, Rookie's hard tail is the longest bike on Oldschool!

• Like 2

Might look into welding a softail rear end on.

4676.jpg

13.jpg

That said I'm still keen to see how it looks when I put lower shocks in the rear. May cut the springs haha

Edit: Faaark, the more I look at the pic of it in my kitchen, the more I think the most badass thing to do would be to get a non-chrome swingarm and lengthen it an inch or so. Would effectively lower the rear and get the wheel sitting in the big twin guard better.

• Like 1