Yoeddynz and Hannah's HB Viva Wagon Discussion

Willdat?

What are you sealing the rust kill with? I was under the impression that it was only a temporary conversion and need sealing otherwise reverts back to oxide.. maybe I should bring my landau up and park it in your cavern..

Using CRC rust convertor. It appears very similar to krust and Bilt hamber Hydrate 80 ( my favourite but Im out of it and none in NZ. See here..  .http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/hydrate-80 )

Yeah- it ideally needs paint over top. Once dry tomorrow night I will coat it in this before weld the sills in place....

http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic-rust-proofing-paint/c28117/

which again I am almost out of and none in NZ. I wonder if durapox is similar? I want something to use for the rest of the car plus Hannahs wagon when we start on that. The other option I guess is just apply por15 direct to the rusty surface? Or use their convertor/primer first then por 15.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking great already. There's something cool about seeing old rusty steel being replaced properly.

I have a few old screen rubbers I have kept that would be better than the one in your car if you want to replace it temporarily. Next time you are over we can have a look if you like and pick out the best one.

• Like 1

Oh hey Andre - that would be awesome! If I replace the screen in Viva one then its old screen can go into Viva wag. The screen in this Viva wag is pretty damn scratched.

Does anyone know of any thing out there that actually polishes scratches out of glass?

Sorry sir. I was busy the last two days having to do that damn work thing. I got called out by Ladaspeed to help sideways sickness install balustrades at a house. Just when I was on a roll. But hey. Money.

I have sneaked in a few hours this evening but got way too cold. Let me finish my cheese on toast and I'll do an update...

• Like 1

Loving your work! Geez I love watching people replace rust. 

Oh aaaand, regarding sealing that patina, I use this http://www.bunnings.com.au/flood-4l-penetrol-paint-additive-_p1566568 I know it says it's a paint additive but if you brush it over your rusty bits it dries hard and clear and seals the paint, it is a little shiny thou.

It's often used as a rust sealer but doesn't actually treat the rust, just seals it. I believe it's better than clear coat because supposedly the rust fucks the clear coat.

I've used it on industrial firniture and old bikes. 

IMG_20140804_200558.jpg

• Like 1

Cool- I'll have to check it out. Yeah Ive heard clearcoat is no good - can go yellow over time too. Before I pushed the car out into the wilds of winter last time round I sprayed over the rusty areas with some Dinitrol stuff which is exactly like this Brunox available in NZ...

http://www.brunox.com/website/productpages/Epoxy-Spray-en.html

It didnt go quite as black as usual and still looks quite rough and patina'd (sp?)

A few other people have mentioned Ankor wax now- apparently the stuff all the dub boys use.

Edit; heres what I used up the last of the can. Id bought this in the UK for the Rx3. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DINITROL-CONVERTER-PRIMER-AEROSOL-EXTENSION/dp/B0076L4E3A

Oh hey Andre - that would be awesome! If I replace the screen in Viva one then its old screen can go into Viva wag. The screen in this Viva wag is pretty damn scratched.

Does anyone know of any thing out there that actually polishes scratches out of glass?

there is a couple of places in oz that can buff out glass scratches. 

Im sure somebody in NZ would do it. Or you can watch the youtube vids of it and buy the stuff to do it yourself

Man I don't think any of those products are that good, to get rid of the rust use a phosphoric acid (bunnings sells rannex which is good) steel will go back to bright white if you leave it long enough. Clean it up after that with a scotch brite pad and then use a traditional 2 part epoxy primer (spray if you can/brish if not). I have used 2-3 different rust converter/primer combos and the actual adhesion is pretty woeful. I would use a phoshoric acid and then a POR-15 style moisture cured urethane over them any day (but epoxy and proper paint is the preference). Oh avoid getting the acid in body seams, use abrasives around them if you can.

I would actually just use a wax right over the rust rather than those primers I think. The acid is also great to soak parts man, it is actually its best feature. Anything that unbolts from my car and can be soaked in a tub witrh citric (or watered down rannex/phosphoic) gets that treatment, parts come out like new. Use paint stripper on the paint first if there is still any in the way, the acid only loosens old lacquer very slowly/not at all sometimes. 

This convo is probably worth a thread since rust is like the biggest problem most of us have! I'll actually try to remember to start one later after shed time.

• Like 3

For glass scratches use (buy/borrow) a DA polisher (5" one you use for paint corrections), Meguiar's do a microfiber pad (itrs real hard compared to paint pads) and a glass polish that will cut down the glass. It can make a screen like new, you have to clean it real well, for that use a clay bar and a fresh razor/scraper blade.

• Like 5

Its more the sealing in of the outside patina that I'm asking about. But hell yeah- you should start a thread about rust treatment. If money were no object on something special Id be dipping the whole shell. But this is a Viva..............

The crc stuff Im using is phospheric acid based and Ive used other UK made products that are just as you describe. But for this car the stuff that I would like to use that system on are basically a prick to get to and I don't like the more pure acid based liquids going every where I cant clear it. So anything I can treat I'm converting, leaving to set, then covering in Epoxy mastic which is awesome stuff. Ive used it on several cars and the stuff is good. Think durapox on steroids.

http://www.rust.co.uk/epoxy-mastic-rust-proofing-paint/c28117/

When all the repairs are done it gets filled with this shit everywhere- I like to go hard on cavity waxes and use heaps. Moisture doesnt even have a chance of getting where I don't want it. Yeah.. get that stuff in the seams and its just cause more havoc.

This stuff I brought a box of over in the container from uk..

http://www.bilthamber.com/dynax-s50

Will need more for Hannah's wagon but she cant bring it back with her because that get all silly nowadays with aerosols.

I've used waxoyl and Its no where near as good to use. Does not creep as well. I reckon Fishoil is a bit stink..

• Like 1

Loving your work man, hey where are you getting those little cutting wheels for your dremel? I have been using the ones that came with my Ozito rotary tool (couldn't afford a dremel) but they are so fragile they come to bits if you look at them wrong. Really handy but some stronger ones would be the go

• Like 1