Rhyscar

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Work mate went well came 4th overall...

All I did was change a few tyres and tip near 50 litres in the tank, pretty damn tame compared to you fellas

Had a chance to look at it , new shell?

But god damn was it cold up in them hills.

Work mate went well came 4th overall...

All I did was change a few tyres and tip near 50 litres in the tank, pretty damn tame compared to you fellas

Had a chance to look at it , new shell?

But god damn was it cold up in them hills.

Yeah was a cold day. Nice going. Always a good day when things go well!

Not sure if the shell can be saved yet. Need to strip body and cut the cage out before assessing what can and can't be fixed. You can pretty extensively repair a rally car I've seen much worse than this come out fairly straight. 

I was going to ask how the new trumpets went but obviously not much chance to test them, How much damage was done to the cage ? glad you guys came out of it ok ive had my share of offs in the co drivers seat and know that feeling of just hanging on because you are just a passenger at that point waiting for it to stop. Keen to see this rise from the ashes so to speak and get going again.

• Like 1

Didn't end up running new trumpets in the end. Engine was running well for a change and didn't want to risk anything not being right with them - either not handling the heat or restricting airflow. Its something that we will have the R&D a bit further before we are comfortable to run in a rally situation.

As you know during a rally the oddest things pop up as issues cause most racecars don't have to complete a couple hundred KM's at a time so better to be safer than sorry. 

Rollcage is pretty pooped. Bar above windscreen is bananna'd which has pulled the pillar bars in. We always knew the cage was pretty weak as its an oldschool bolt in design. Actually kinda glad to build a new one we always wanted to but didn't want to go through the hassle. As his day job, Nick builds a few cages and his engineering is really top notch these days so it will be the flashest cage you'll ever see in a ke20! 

Was all over in a matter of 1-2 secs from it being 'OK we are running a bit wide but will bounce back onto the road...' till the obligatory 'ahh fuck' moment. Wasn't super high speed or anything nasty like that. 

• Like 2

that's not too bad then and yes some of those old cages are super sketchy design wise or some real old one made from scaffold pipe or ally , Jonathan has made some for my car and a friends so i'll let you know how we get on with them mine are exactly the same as yours but for 45s and my mates are 50mm long they were cheap enough to take a punt on  as i have the same space constraints in the mazda.

• Like 1

Thats cool I'm pretty confident they would be completely fine going off all the testing and info I've come across before. 3D printing is something I'm sure we will utilise more and more in the near future. 

Yeah those small filters really hold us back in the intake department. Would be nice to have long staggered trumpets but means sealing the whole area and working out how to filter the air etc etc. Def in the too hard basket for now. 

• 2 weeks later...