Darryls 3rd 1200 Coupe

R3spct

Its been over 20 years since i sold my 1st 2 1200 Coupes.

bo1qdq0b.hg1.jpg

i50y2a0m.oih.jpg

bwbld2pg.gc5.jpg

This was my 1st car, had bonnet pins, a half cage, and a SSS engine.  It also had a lot of rust and bog, but would prob be a score in that condition today.  Had a 2nd one after this, which was red and black with a tan vinyl roof, it was fairly stock apart from a 5 speed. I didnt keep any pics of that one unfortunatly, and cant find the rego anywhere to try trace what might have happened to it.  Had no signs of rust in the time i had it.

So its time for No3. Ive put my name on the formerly green one on trademe that was a rolling body.  Getting it shipped up next weekend.  Its got rust, but plates are on exemption, and has a lot of spare parts and nothing too major missing.  

1af5smou.lii.jpg

byi1awaz.nvg.jpg

zuoxv2wf.0nc.jpg

Pretty stoked to finally own another one.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Car arrived today.

Def a project, will be a few weeks at least.... :beer: 

Unfortunately the rear 1/4 windows fell out between Napier and Taupo as the latches were not there, and the hinges let go as the tape wasnt quite enough.

Shaun that i got it off has plenty of spares so is going to hook me up.

gxarf0zs.rjc.jpg

xugkqwy1.d4h.jpg

a4bq1eec.0fl.jpg

r5sxlvem.uej.jpg

yzbcwdzd.ihp.jpg

kzjnwrsj.ktl.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Finally made a start on the car.  Was looking at Kitch's 1st posts, and wow, 2 very similar cars to start with, but unfortunatly i doubt mine will have as much invested in it.

Today was finally time to see what parts were inside, 4 front seats, rear 1/4 windows, spare rear screen, 4 Cheviot Turbos and a Globe, 3 boxs of random bits, 4 doors, 4 guards, spare boot lid.

Missing gas tank and driveshaft atm, but seller is supplying.  

flayjfqt.c5j.jpg

vlhyxxbu.ok3.jpg

senbomu1.0lv.jpg

s4yetx0v.euj.jpg

clrpxia0.h1u.jpg

Rust isnt terrible, fairly typical from what ive seen from Kitchs thread.  The rust work doesnt scare me, its the missing parts and the money and time to track down. Floor pan is generally pretty tidy, only a few minor holes, lower A pillars and sills, a little bit in the vents but no massive holes.  Is a few repairs from previous repairer, some of which are pretty shitty, so will need to decide if i cut them out and redo some of them, even tho they look ok from the outside generally.

lyp1onsd.f0b.jpg

y0qv0ovv.ipo.jpg

jeco2bg2.2fm.jpg

d1k123hc.yfb.jpg

eqtzbj3u.2gy.jpg

s5g2cgxw.fhf.jpg

vdkigpxr.cxt.jpg

ttvs11oa.0f5.jpg

mgze1e5p.gyx.jpg

bcousi1f.rc3.jpg

0xdjz2w0.ded.jpg

pwi2kdzl.4nd.jpg

apxb21vn.dh4.jpg

orzw3rjq.m1q.jpg

uebxejy0.iru.jpg

gur1e53w.1w5.jpg

fh31mjbz.ube.jpg

dnudww2r.lkr.jpg

jl3ni3tg.weu.jpg

cymaptlz.tbb.jpg

b143dr1r.ofp.jpg

Need to order some sills soon, then can start to work out where to start cutting and get things underway.

Need to order new rubber kits, maybe new Thai front guards rather than repair these ones.  So much stuff on Ebay, i can imagine spending what Kitch has done wouldnt be too hard.  In saying that, i dont like paying people to work on my own car, so will save money in that area i hope.

• Like 1

Ive found a place on Ebay that does the sills with the correct shape at ends for 60aud, waiting on a shipping price.  The bottom of the A Pillars looks pretty simple to fold up, so might not worry too much, and the floors are ok apart from a couple of small holes where the water has sat against the edge of the underseal.  Under the car is pretty much perfect, not even any pin pricks of rust, and all looks original and no serious signs of previous repairs.

Cut the drivers side sill out this avo, found most of the spot welds and got the center section nice and loose, so cut that bit out, now need to work out how to get the ends out, especially the back as it goes under the body work.

jxh4hsw5.m5g.jpg

4vrwx0tc.xdi.jpg

aaijqywz.s24.jpg

agcy5hqm.rip.jpg

focrs44d.meo.jpg

hm2cqiru.mes.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
3fbzzxwl.dcd.jpg

civeii3n.tkd.jpg

prvnsavq.2jx.jpg

More work tonight, used the front of the APC sills and the rest of the zinc coated ones i had folded up.  The fit a the rear isnt perfect, but i think it will pull into shape ok.

Ordered a spot weld kit from Eastwood for my Tig welder, and some rustproofing paint and such so i can paint the insides before welding the sills on.  I have to make the bottom of the A pillars still as well, not to scarey, then ive got the whole process to do on the other side.  

Vents under dash will be a big job, not a massive amount of rust, but some funny shapes to deal with under there.

• Like 3

Been getting busy, finding very old fibreglass repairs and ripping them out to expose the horror under.  

Welded up the trim holes along body, filled a few holes, repaired a dent in rear corner, around tail lights.

0eugyoqy.s3i.jpg

qu4kragv.ns3.jpg

e3uiroja.lqg.jpg

vuwbpj3o.m2e.jpg

bjza5z2d.13q.jpg

rtudqb1h.i4c.jpg

sber0hq3.1qi.jpg

4age throttle setup underway, im using the whole intake at this stage, which doesnt look too bad flipped upside down, the major advantages being it has injectors and rail built in, and idle circuit.  Just hoping its not too close to the strut tower, but they dont look a whole lot longer than a side draft.

erwbcpiv.rix.jpg

And have a rotisserie being built atm.  Anyone else keen on one? Can prob get some more made up if anyone is keen.

• Like 4

zwufuxiq.tkn.jpg

cmnubfob.i34.jpg

Got holes in the rear welded up, no filler atm, all steel, will need a skim to finish off later tho. 

Also found my subframe has been modified for an a15 already, but i bought a Ute subframe already lol.  

qwewiggu.4f3.jpg

I need some mounts for the a15 block if anyone has any spares, im guessing i need the stock a15 ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
y3x1gck2.grr.jpg

mznqvixw.2zw.jpg

Busy day today, had a mate make up the beginnings of a rotissere for me, i had to make the chassis mounts to the bumper supports, then decided to add threaded rod to move the sliders up and down, then has a pin to lock it height wise.

The car rotates easy, but it tends to roll back to pretty much flat again, so i need to work out a way to control the rotation, maybe a series of sprockets and chain to gear it down, then some sort of pin to lock it.

Still rolls quite well, and is very stable.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
Been a good weekends work, got the drivers side sill on and all welded up and painted with primer.  There is no rust in there at all anymore. :highfive: 

enlqzdag.rby.jpg
hccwlnt0.p4c.jpg
ax33im1d.2ny.jpg

Then got the scuttle and under dash done on drivers side.

yizaiexh.13k.jpg
d3sb1v3j.0ny.jpg
phursng0.gtf.jpg

Then turned it around and took a good look at the passengers side sill.  And its bad, worse than the driver side i think.  

2nud2nol.pgm.jpg
wffttums.ksc.jpg
bgv1g3ma.t2e.jpg

Ive cut a lot of the rot out, and was so much compressed mud in there.  Was a lot of fibreglass over rust, if the repairer had cut all the rust out and put some rust converter it it might have lasted a lot better.  Im probably going to go back over the drivers side panel now in front of the rear wheel and make sure thats as good as i thought it was.  

Its a long road before this will be on the road, but should be worth the effort to sort it out as its got a lot of solid Datsun in there still.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
pgdfcdh1.epo.jpg

cadfkcrk.icx.jpg

Started on replacing the sill, was going to keep the center section as it initially looked ok, but it wasnt, pin holes all along bottom once i sanded the paint off, so whole lot came off.  

There was some really rough repairs in front of rear wheel, got that all cut out, and there is 2 to 3mm of filler under the vents on the side panel, looks like its had a bit of a hit there at some stage, not sure how far i will go with trying to get the metal in better shape, but want to rust treat it properly as there is a couple of spots where there is rust under the bog starting to push it out.

Ive made the sill up, welded the sections together, and plug welded it on all along, so just need to make the front and rear sections now when i get some more welding gas.

I used a mixture of mig and tig, mig is faster, but can weld 1mm sheet steel butt welds with the tig.

• 3 weeks later...
Got the welding gas and got to work.

Sill all done on pass side now

qnkx4wlr.zm3.jpg

locll51q.qzt.jpg

e0eoqwsn.m0a.jpg

Still got a little bit to do on the scuttle and under dash on pass side.

Decided the boot floor was in need of some work now, some massive holes in there.  Quite annoyed that who ever decided to do the old repairs made new skins for the outside, but didnt bother to repair the insides at all, there is still mud under there in places, and now its going to be a challenge making some of the inner skin parts, especially where the fuel filler hose goes.

moognsgu.kpu.jpg

dphc44js.mzt.jpg

crxukxto.0tt.jpg

The tig makes a nice job, its slow, but faster than trying to mig weld it and blowing holes all the time, the tig rarely blows holes and they are easy to fill, and the heat is kept down too with care.

Still a few rust holes in the spare wheel well to fix, and it must have had a tow bar at some stage, but will put bolts in those holes rather than fill them for now.  

Next step will be engine bay and the front rad support frame needs repairs, i might have to take the front valance off, then decide if a thai replacement will be a better option than trying to repair the badly damaged one thats on it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Time for the front of the car.

Removed the valance, and bought a Thai replacement, which is very average quality, but still better than the rusty dented one that was on the car.  

Cut the bottom of the frame out and repaired, and then welded the new panel along front today.  Also seems to be common that the reinforcing where the bumper bolts on gets rust, cut as much out as practical and spent some time making the new sections, some nice complicated shapes going on there.  

drw0mia0.gm0.jpg
jktdjmvr.eyd.jpg
el4wf5dh.zgi.jpg

f0sn5ez3.fg3.jpg
icgg50yq.xkq.jpg

The front left corner had some damage from a shunt long in the past, looked pretty bad but was surprised how quickly i managed to beat it into shape with hammer and dollies.  

ynzvrbag.rpe.jpg

I have a front radiator support panel, which i cut a strip off the bottom to repair the channel under the radiator, still deciding if i cut and replace the part around the headlight, as it will be totally hidden and is about 95% ok, and a bit more work and it might be ok.