Kicker's RD400

kicker

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna get it legal then change a few things, I might ditch the wagon wheels for some wire ones, the loaf of bread seat is getting the heave ho and the rear part of the frame will get trimmed down, maybe a Kenny Roberts inspired paint job

0p5kkxkj.fp5.jpg

Just found it's missing the oil pump so premix it is

• Like 5

ive got no idea about big bikes, but the tiny 2 strokes we play with have oil injected main bearings sometimes, so removing the oil pump can lead to blown crank bearings, may pay to just double check the system your bike uses before converting to premix. 

super sweet bike though!

It's all sweet, these things just pump oil into the carb. Just need to block some ports and go up 1 main jet size (need to rejet for the pipes anyway)

Also I'm gonna make a pressure tester to check my crank seals, it should hold 6lb for 6 mins if they are in good nick

mean bike bro

just spray crc around the seals when its running/look at how much oil leaks out etc and u will see if they ok

/if it starts easy they are sweet

its easier to tell on a small single tho u can almost feel the crankcase compressions by hand/u can feel when its got nothing lol

• 5 weeks later...

Have been tinkering with this as parts arrive.

There seems to be pluses and minus' with everything on this bike.

The carbs were missing their return springs but it turns out they are RZ carbs as are the inlet rubbers with balance pipe.

Rear suspension is in good condition with fresh grease, the front forks don't match and one of the lowers wasn't bolted on.

Engine is missing base, head and exhaust gaskets but the cylinders, pistons and rings look good.

I had to pull the engine to fit the DTI in order to time it correctly but it only took 5mins from all hooked up in the frame to sitting on the bench

DSCF0931.JPG

DSCF0932.JPG

Since the top end is off I might just split the cases and replace all the seals and any bearings that need it.

I found that I still have the clutch holding tool I made for the last one I had nearly 15 years ago haha

Can't wait to fire it up

• Like 6

Whoop

More fun, it appears the cylinders are from a different RD, mega amount of clearance and ring gap is about 2mm! Not sure why the mismatch, but lack of gaskets and head bolts not done up points to them just being plonked on for sale, by a few previous owners down the line I think  :) Just going to get cylinders sorted for some new oversize pistons jeah, 2mm over stock gives an extra 25cc haha

20140617_174313.jpg

Eye candy

RD400_mhf009_1.jpg

rd400-on-the-table.jpg

Would love some radial finned heads

RD400denco.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Pistons jeah

20140714_162748.jpg

Cylinders were whack, one measured up as 65mm and the other was 64.5mm widening to 64.75, pistons were stock 64mm size so definitely jumbled together from other bikes.

New pistons are 65.5 so an extra 18.9cc's wowee, will drop cylinders off this week to be bored.

Ordered a full set of gaskets and seals, just waiting for the last ones to arrive now before opening up the crankcase

• Like 7