Nominal's 1964 Mercury

Nominal

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried Jif, handcleaner, meths, petrol. None were great, and they went brown again really fast (stupid wingroad tyres). I might have a go a cleaning them again now, and see how they look (have been in the shed for a couple of years since the astro's cracked.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of a brainpick:  Have you got drums or discs on the front? If disc are they factory or did you do a conversion? I'm looking at the scarebird stuff as a future thing but if you've done a conversion be keen to know experiences.

Also, with the bagging are you replacing bushes and what not at the same time? Figuring mine would benefit from a refresh.

Bit of a brainpick:  Have you got drums or discs on the front? If disc are they factory or did you do a conversion? I'm looking at the scarebird stuff as a future thing but if you've done a conversion be keen to know experiences.

Also, with the bagging are you replacing bushes and what not at the same time? Figuring mine would benefit from a refresh.

Drums right now. I am sort-of planning to do disc conversion with bags for cert savings. I acquired a new 77 T-bird disc/drum master in the USA recently (f'n massive thing too). Was thinking of Falcon discs for front. The car is 2 tonnes so needs to be something fairly big.

Going to keep old bushings if I can so far. I did have some new steering rod ends and upper (I think) ball joints shipping from Rock Auto.

Thanks; researching options/experiences; the Scarebird thing is a bracket that works with Mustang discs and S-10 Calipers, which don't look helluva huge but evidently do the job better. Also needs a bias valve if keeping the OE master. Brackets are 165 usd. But callipers and discs are cheap and plentiful.

Cheers,

Mike. 

• 1 month later...

It'll probably come off fine because it's had a nice wee house all these years, granted someone left the door open in the house but it's been better than standing out on the front porch in the elements.

..anyway..

You've done some stellar work with this car it's really quite nice. I'm sure when I looked at this thread from home last-night it had loaded more pictures in than I had seen previous. Looks good man.

• 2 weeks later...

shit yeah coming along nicely

PM joe/ goat about a contact for crack testing in Wellington. he had his 240z stuff done by a guy just round the corner from my work.

Who I didn't even know existed as his door is never open slash probabaly just does weekends.

keen to see how your 4 link turns out for sure

• 2 weeks later...

tip with york compressors- the screw in the gallery trick works, on my one i had to fit a crankcase breather to stop it blurting out so much oil into the pressure line as well. that and an oil/air seperator and it was pretty good as far as oil getting into the main tank

• Like 1

tip with york compressors- the screw in the gallery trick works, on my one i had to fit a crankcase breather to stop it blurting out so much oil into the pressure line as well. that and an oil/air seperator and it was pretty good as far as oil getting into the main tank

How did you do the breather? Drill and tap a port?

• 1 month later...

Ideally for the Beach Hop.

I need to fix the compressor then get a wheel alignment.

Brakes were working, but felt not great. I only bled them by the drip method as missus was out last night - will get her to do some pumping in the weekend. Might need to steal the Wilwood proportioning valve off the Morrie project.

Otherwise only needs a couple of brake line clamps and a cover for the wiring hole in the boot for cert (at least that is what I hope). Exhaust is just tacked in a couple of joints and is banging somewhere over the axle too.

Might be at Andy Smith's on Tuesday if I can sort the compressor.

• Like 1