The "Deuce Coupe" by Gaz

sr1600

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to one of my high school balls in a mates metallic british racing green 616 coupe. Lock diff 12a bridgeport those where the days. See if I can find some pictures of it, it resides in opotiki now.

Brought some MSF hubs becuase they are both 4x110 and 4x114, get claire to get them on her bag on the next wedding planning trip haha

• Like 1

What things? Rx2 coupes?

Pretty rare I guess, this one prob not the best to restore to original as it has the sun roof and will have a bit of bog in it when completed. I'm not sure what a restored original one would fetch as havnt seen one before, maybe 30k. People are asking 22+ for them in modded style. General young cernts like the 4 doors more than the coupes and there is definitely more of them around.

Gaz

Yep bugger all around, so an original or resto-mod, at best will fetch good coin if sold.

There are loads of people dreaming of a 2 coupe find, def one of the most sought after mazdas.

Are you sure yours is 75? As the dogbone taillights were fitted at that stage.

Could of been one that sat in the showroom a bit longer

More pics!

• Like 1

There's always overlap with models, because the year is determined by the first date of registration, not the date of manufacture.

Which is kinda weird when you think about it. Racehorses are weirder though, they all have the same official birthday...

I like the new tail lights.

Same, but different.

And likely different to what anyone else has done. Which is nice.

There are very few 2 coupes in NZ and very few 'conversions' because we got even less 616 coupes. We seemed to get a lot of RX-3 coupes and a lot of 808 coupes, mainly because they were the lowest spec (10a and series 1 808's).

A good genuine 2 coupe sells for good dollars in Oz. Not so much here in NZ. Not because they are worth less (rotaries are generally cheaper here*) but because most Mazda dreamers couldn't afford the large asking price for a decent RX-2 coupe.

*Rotaries are generally cheaper here in NZ because we bodged/ruined most of them. Australia builds amazing show cars (although not always to my taste) and $50-$60k builds are the norm.

Most of the Mazda builds we see here are $10kish with your mates rebuilt 13b in it. Poverty spec.

/lots of generalising in this post/spam/sorry/pointless $0.02 worth.

Measure the spacing of the holes on the bottom of the strut should be about 65mm, which is 1300 and rx2 and I think r100 as well.

Rx7, rx3 and r31/nissan are 80mm. I brought some rx3 steering arms and can confirm they are the same as nissan spacing, still thinking it maybe a better idea to go that way but I havent got there yet.

A couple of reasons would be the larger strut tube bigger shock should help with the shorter suspension range, 51mm tube is alot easier to find coilover bits for, standard shock diameter and the hubs are already 4x114.

Havent had a chance to compare them yet but the angles/ offset of the hub I need to compare

Can chuck up a photo of standard series 3 sedan crossmember if you need a reference, does look different from yours though, doesn't have those 'arms' that extend out from the main crossmember, could just be mine though.

Edit: Absolutely stumped tbh, that looks a few inches forward of where I'd expect it.

• Like 1

Your xmember looks like a twin dissy rx2 with extensions to fit 13b probly.. you can mount a 13b rx3/4 style (under sway bar) but will be way up front.. or you can mount it s3 rx2 style but your gearbox xmember will be way back then. You could keep what you've got; might be best and easiest I don't know.

Those struts are probly rx2 as rx7 spindles are on a different angle and you end up with positive camber:

http://www.rx7club.com/old-school-other-rotary-63/rx7-struts-rx2-734483/

• Like 1