Driveby's 1973 Mitsubishi Galant GTO

DriveBy

• 5 months later...

Bit of an update. Have changed front to some lower springs and shorter shocks. Inserts in the front shock housings were changed and the ride is slightly firmer but not bad at all:

166.jpg

Struggling with the rear. Ordered some 2 inch blocks which were apparently guaranteed to fit, unfortunately blocks didnt's fit, u-bolts were wrong bit of a blow out so decided to get the rear leaves reset instead. 

Mission getting the old bolts off etc...

photo28.jpg

Also ripped bump stop off and can't figure out how they come out properly so I can replace them. Pissing me off to be honest.

photo27-1.jpg

But I did get the reset leaves and new u-bolts back and they look good. Will get around to fitting them in the next couple weeks.

photo42.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New wheels - Got a set of Advan A3A's in 14 inch. Rears are 6.5 inch and fronts are 6 inch. Offset +6. There is more room in the rear to go wider but will need guard rolling. Front has no more clearance to the guard but could fit another inch or so toward the strut. Rears running 175/65/14 and fronts 165/65/14. Surprised how much better it stops than it did with the 165 supercats on the stock 13 inch wheels. Any serious brake application use to result in more tyre squeal than stopping ability. Have had a couple of hairy moments. 

Pic of wheels:

photo5-1.jpg

And a pic in front of a suitably old school backdrop

photo37.jpg

Not sure what's next have been mulling over getting a pair of sidedrafts and learning about carbs. There is a poorly listed sidedraft manifold on trademe that should fit but it has no linkages so not sure if it's worth buying bits and pieces or just bite the bullet and order this:

IMG_0066_4.jpg

I was going to start tidying up the body but I have come to like some of the poorly handpainted patches and dings etc. May just get the big dings out of the bumpers if it doesn't mean rechroming and try and find a front grill as the one on it is a little bit rough.

Any opinions/thoughts - //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/42845-drivebys-1973-mitsubishi-galant-gto/

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...