Indy has itchy crabs

Xsspeed requested it, so thought I'd stick up 'crab updates for the other sad BMC/BL bastards on the site (2 I think?).

Edit: Guess I should put a photo up of the car in question:

OpFncVN.jpg

Still getting the spare engine apart, has been a while since I'd had a chance to look at it, having recently becoming a father.

Plan is to rebuild this engine and then do a swap, thus reducing the time the 'crab is off the road. Will also greatly help spread the cost out.

How I got it

t8xF77Z.jpg

Started to take it apart (clutch off here)

HhVktwu.jpg

Didn't come with a head, so I bought one from a Wolseley club member:

(I shall need to find some tappets and push rods, but that shouldn't be hard)

0SqDYkR.jpg

uB655IP.jpg

Got the gearbox off at last

0osGLRo.jpg

Today I managed to find some time to remove the pistons and got 3 of the bearing caps off, but ran out of time before being able to drift the 2 end ones off (fucker has to eat etc)

ZD9ypbk.jpg

lA6UBBp.jpg

oIln5UE.jpg

List of things I plan to do next:

• Get the block, flywheel and crank off to a shop to be checked/machined as needed
  • Buy new pistons & rings
  • Get the head off to a shop to be inspected and machined as needed

And of course the next question is, what colour shall I paint the engine? BMC engine green or red? .......not that it will really matter as I'm sure it'll be covered in 'rust protection' (i.e. oil) in no time.

-Indy

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Not that anyone will care, but sod it....

Some work done on the car, when I should have been studying.

Decided I need get off my arse and get her running better (tuning is a bit out), so grabbed a compression tester.

No. 1 - 159 PSI
No. 2 - 159 PSI
No. 3 - 156 PSI
No. 4 - 152 PSI

Nice even wear it seems, and no huge difference with a bit of oil in the cylinders.

Plugs were black as, clearly too rich and too many short trips in her.

v7BE6mi.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Went for a WOF the other day, failed on tie rod play and this:

UxPfRg1.jpg

In a prick of a place. But that's life.

Having searched the forum, I've come across some recommendations of decent rust repair places in Dunedin to get it repaired (Custom Panels, Emslie & Flockton, and another my neighbour has suggested).

If you do have any recommendations, please let me know, cheers. 

Zero work done on the engine since last time, Work, tech and moving house has gotten in the way. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I'd better have an update, work, women & kids get in the way.

Window regulator on the driver's side has never winded down fully so got off my arse and took a look.

Appears some joker has replaced it at some stage with a different regulator as it isn't the same as the one on the passenger side. (Bracket circled in red is meant to have 3 screw holes, as per the following photo).

Have replaced it for the moment until I can source a replacement.

Discussion

o3jtPr6.jpg

JNFlrU1.jpg

ndxjrg7.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Old pistons were munted.

ef3mSVV.jpg

8Bi7KGB.jpg

New pistons and seal kits, thank you Ebay.

PNRwK5w.jpg

Calipers are the same, but appears one is an earlier or later version, which ties in with the differences in pistons (could be from one of many cars, I believe they were used on Fords as well as BMC cars),

OPkEZGw.jpg

New stuff installed. 

06uipDX.jpg

Hooked it all back up, bled the brakes and took it for a test drive. Brakes seem to work nicely _b

Edit: hmmm I think the head gasket might have blown recently, the fun never ends lol. 

• 3 months later...

Done diddly fuck for a while, took her for a WOF after the brake work and she passed _b

Adjusted the rear brakes and that's been about it lately, have been too busy being a company man at the moment.

For the thread, here's a pic during a spin around town the other day. Such good fun to drive. 

qRJGNwF.jpg

• Like 6

• 6 months later...

Bloody driveshaft coupler went the other week, managed to limp home thankfully.

Replaced it this weekend just gone. Fucking annoying job, in the end I gave up trying to squeeze the new one in between the two shafts and just took the whole wheel hub and outer shaft off and stuck it in.

Poked coupler. 

wqupXMB.jpg

4HDq5ya.jpg

New coupler:

usnTpO7.jpg

BZ7pCoq.jpg

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Decided to get off my arse and change the oil and filter. Bloody thing didn't want to come off, so got Marsellus Wallace on it's arse. After a new filter and 7L of oil, I decided it was time for a beer.

L3sXxaY.jpg

AXy74NU.jpg

2sMNspZ.jpg

Last month was fun getting my WOF, due to uneven rear brakes, after trying to dick around with the adjustment and checking if the slave cylinders were sliding, I slapped on some new shoes and the brakes got their act together.

• Like 5