FR50 tinker build

MKD

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i got chamber design and can fab one up, its for more low/middle range tho

Ive been keen on those MLM sidebleed pipes for ages, i'd run a silencer anyway.

Pipe sounds sweet I'll let you know if i go ahead with the mod, means ill have to cut my header. do you know anyone running one of the same design? Mine runs 55kmh at the moment but hasnt really been run in on the new piston/boring. Id be hoping for a little bit more topend too with a new pipe, but mid and low suits my commute which is only like 5km stop start all the way

• 2 weeks later...

Rejetted the carb today after my aliexpress jets arrived.

Previously, after I had the cylinder bored it would run quite lean and 'fourstroke' at full throttle (surge/die - if that's not fourstroking  - lol)

id read that meant it was lean so upped the jet size.

Stock jet is an 80 (I had the needle set rich as possible too) so I went up to an 82 to richen it (needle back to centre clip) after the rebore - still wasn't enough according to a plug chop, so put in an 85.

the 85 runs nice at mid clip on the needle, but I dropped it another one just to see...then it started the surge/die thing again at full throttle...I haven't put it back to centre clip but I will tonight as it seems to run best there.

does 'fourstroking' happen when its too rich, as well as when its too lean at WOT?

ps. sorry all my updates have no pictures haha but who wants to see a packet of Chinese jets

jets are good, threads are perfect, nice brass and even have the mikuni logo on them lol.

I was a bit suss on if they are actually bigger - the factory 80, new 80,82,85 looks reeeealy similarly sized to me, but I got 12 - up to about 108 so heaps of room to increase.

Four stroking is a distinct burbling at wot under no load (easiest way to find it without doing damage), if you want to know what it sounds like look up chainsaw tuning videos on YouTube. Sounds like you are still way too lean, one clip on the needle shouldn't make too much difference.

Plug is brown to dark brown at a chop currently so pretty sure its not lean

I've got a new set of points i should put in too, maybe the old ones cant keep the spark up, theyre pretty worn.

Unless im fanging it full the whole time its sweet..only thing is it needs fanging to cruise in traffic lol

• 1 month later...

Haha funny, creepy google.

yeah I've still got the file but its for 7/8in bars. are you running inch bars? I could update it if so - from there you just take it to somewhere with a 3d printer. the place I used here has shut down since

• 1 month later...

So finally got round to getting my seat idea made up, i had a pile of pieces sitting in the shed for ages so its good to see it worked out!!

I used strips of seatbelt from the wreckers over a foam and ply base. Pretty stoked with how it came together. Just have to get a hinge sorted

image.jpg1_zpsw4raqmzv.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssvbwgkzm.jpg

image.jpg3_zps6pswcmdr.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsspuguyqn.jpg

image.jpg6_zpslmbwfjrc.jpg

• Like 3

Cheers! Yeah filler sucks. I cut out the base so it sits flush over it now. Debated doing toilet seat but liked the cleaner(? On a ratty bike?) look.

Planning on using the stock rubber seat pads at the rear plus some front hinge idea im cooking up to suit.

• 7 months later...

Decided its time to sell this..sob.

1974 FR50, classic rego, just got it in the mail..40 bucks or so per year.

Will come with 3 months new rego

Located in hastings

Pics to follow tomorrow.

$750

Few bits and stuff with it, ie,

- All original parts that came off it

- haynes shop manual

- spare 6v coil and points

- spare carb jets, plenty to upjet with

Chur

Posting in for sale too.