FR50 tinker build

MKD

Sussed a few problems on the FR so far, with a few more to go before its running properly but passed a big hurdle today after waltzing into vtnz and sussing a rego. Boom. Sight unseen too. Stoked.

They wanted to do the pre-check until i sweet talked them out of it haha 'nah the ltsa doesnt have it on the list on the moped info forms' ... 'nah the checks are only for vinned vehicles' and the chick goes 'ok, ill chuck it into the computer and see what it says without a check'. Win.

Im planning on a lower new bar setup, new headlight with a vintage unity one - which just happen to fit the standard lens assembly into it, hardtail and new seat.

Ill try to update as i go

Latest problem is its flooding on startup. I'm thinking float height or petcock seals as theyre leaking...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sussed the flooding I think. hopefully. ill take it for a ride tonight and see how it runs

wheres the best place to get petcock seals? (slash, any FR50 parts)

I need the tap seal, bowl and bowl oring. local suzi dealer cant get them, cmsnl has them from UK, but will end up costing about $75 for the 3 parts + 30gbp shipping...

and need a kick start lever at some stage, mines rooted and the pedal almost faces backwards lol. might try weld on some new rotation stops to the pedal.

on that note, does anyone know if a c50 kickstart will fit it? theyre on TM for $25

took it out for a test run the other night and hit 65kmhr no worries and it had more to give.

got back home to check the plug colour and noticed it had a chunk of ring stuck to it somehow lol. not the best way to start a build thread!

so took the head off and im pretty sure the rings are way worn, bore looks ok, as does the piston but it might mean i need to oversize it? someone will know the answer to that one?

it had a mean slap beforehand but hopefully judging by the rings theyre the cause, and not a worn out bore?

heres some pics anyway.

havent decided on bars yet, either chop the BMX bars and use them as risers with a modified BMX stem or use the DH MTB bars with a direct mount mtb stem. both will go onto a new flat stem mount plate

the headlight is a cool old PAR36 unity fog light (outa my grandads shed...) off an old ford that fits the existing headlight setup into it perfectly. i cant find a yellow/amber lens to suit a hi/low beam bulb though, so might use some tint.

the tail lights a build-up of bits based on an old pushbike miller dyno headlamp. possibly thinking blue dot lens?

rear struts should be funny if they work out lol. need to see if my neighbour can weld some M12 nuts onto open end of the spanners and it'll fit sweet!

4bto.jpg

scpx.jpg

pj3i.jpg

k61n.jpg

gy9j.jpg

spxi.jpg

zp66.jpg

epsh.jpg

I ended up taking the cylinder to get bored, and ordered a new 0.5 OS piton kit. I think i gain a whole extra cc out of it lol

And i went with the direct mount downhill mtb stem option for the bars. The bmx setup is still here so i can change it over if i hate the mtb one.

Rear struts are next, ill have to suss welding on some m12 nuts to the spanners. I was going to use 3/4in hex brass rod brazed to the spanner end and drill it out for the bottom mounting bolt but cant find any locally.

whats the general opinion on replacing head gaskets / cylinder gaskets while its apart? should I bother? or maybe just smear some gasket goo round before I reassemble it?

full gasket set is about $25 but then its one more thing I have to wait to arrive...

I thought about making my own. I might just go ahead and order the set though, theres an air leak I need to find once its back together - I think around the manifold base - so the new gaskets are going to be needed anyway for other places.

The reason its taking so long is I'm trying to do the build on a $0 budget.... sounds stupid but after seeing the 'zero bucks cub' from chalopy, I figured why not.

I'm prettymuch funding the entire build + initial purchase & everything else from dump finds/hoarded crap from my shed, so it takes awhile to find + sell stuff.

Getting there.

Build-wise, I got the barrel back from the machinists and it looks really good. Plus they bead blasted it so its back to factory clean again! I dropped in the head to get the bead blasting done too so at least it'll look cleaner - on those two parts anyway haha

• 3 weeks later...

I drew up a new stem plate in CAD so I can use the MTB bars ive got planned - and went to do a final measure and found that the 22mm I thought I measured before is actually 19mm OD on the factory bar setup lol.

so, this means the plate will work sweet for the new bars - but... the theory of a straight switch swapover isn't going to happen...

does anyone know of a throttle tube that would suit the FR50 switch internals and a 22mm bar OD? hopefully other Suzuki tubes would fit etc?

I'm going to file out the switch bodies to suit the new bars so I don't have to fiddle with too much wiring on a new set.

do you think it'd be possible to find a new one that would have the same cable retention system + end size etc as the factory FR ones?

failing that - what size bars does an FA50 have? and what switches are on the RH assembly? - hopefully they'd suit as theres a few on TM

8883d1e2bdd88b4d0b5962991dacc969.jpg

ee3d9efe61de07fdab0685422f0ecd56.jpg

719c380c69e3b1bb9d4a553b89b257ee.jpg

154c404897c43a75dcc9f2bb8de895d3.jpg

Rebored cylinder & cleaned head and then a few pics of the stem plate & mockups before i get it fabricated. Stem should sit nicely on the plate and have enough room at the front for a cable hole and enough space within the stem to fit a pushbike speedo - ill route the speedo cabling down the head tube so it'll still be clean.

i found some cool looking switches (google POSH switches) but theyre super pricey - i modelled them up today and sent them to get a price to be 3D printed...so we'll see how that goes. they'd be ABS plastic if it works out, but the same size and shape as the posh ones...stoked if it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

20140424_135606_zps9db57bd4.jpg

20140424_150133_zps63c7e852.jpg

20140424_150114_zps38f6e6db.jpg

20140424_150029_zpsf524a5d8.jpg

20140424_135755_zps368e9ee1.jpg

20140424_135745_zps5dbad074.jpg

General photo dump.

Stem plate made up and fits perfect- stoked my dimensions were right. Got it laser cut in the end.

made up some 10mm LED indicators into the rubber fork plugs - switches on the boat hopefully for my new bar controls

then its find a throttle grips, grips, choke lever and mount up the speedo when it turns up - hopefully soon.

out.

Cheers man,

The holes nearest the legshield are for the fuel and neutral lights, 5mm leds. Waiting for the switches before i do any more wiring. It was a mission to find a mini on-on-on switch for the headlight!!

Im doing a switch and momentary button on each side. Horn and lights on left, kill and indicators on right.

Im deciding between the british style throttle or just a dirtbike one...not sure yet. The only choke lever around is the amal style ones, so it might suit if i go british.

For grips either brown coke bottles or the grey amal style ones on trademe seem cool. We'll see, ive got to sell some more crap to fund it first lol. So far budgets still at zero!!