Advokit's AE85 Trueno Notch Jap Style Build

advokit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ryanfels - Hey man!! Na not that cheap - I think they run for around the $600 mark which I guess is to recover the time it took Brendan from Niteparts to figure it all out. I did get mine slightly cheaper as it was one of the first ones and the Niteparts Logo was a bit crap.

At the end of the day though its basically $1000 odd with gearbox for something that is way newer/stronger than a T50. T50s seem to go for $600-$750 with a 4AGE bellhousing and then god only knows what the condition of it is till you open it up. Most of the ones I looked at were super sloppy and would have needed a re-build kit which is around $400 at cheap rates plus labour if someone did it for me.

@maxted - Yeah I love Starsharks, and its something different from the Millions of AE86s that have either Watanabes of Rays TE37s. Can wait to get some wide lips on the skinny ones so they have max dish on the back.

@haurangi - Notches have grown on me. I used to love the Hatches and still do, but I think I prefer the Notch now maybe just because they are different and not as common.

@vintage grumble - Sorry bro, while it would be easy to take a copy I would hate to do that to Brendon from Niteparts as he seems to be an all around GC. I guess there is nothing stopping you from buying one and copying it then re-selling the original but thats kind of a stink thing to do.

@flyingbrick - Yeah its come a long way from the backyard in Tokoroa we picked it up from. 3SGE beams had crossed my mind but there is a lot more involved in making it fit which I cant be assed with. Plus its keeping it traditional as you say.

The whole idea of the build is to essentially build a more modern day version of an AE86 with slight upgrades all round without costing a fortune. Even a standard AE86 is fun to drive so I figure a 30% or so increase in Power, Braking etc should make it a bit more fun to drive.

Haha nice! Yeah im really glad we got there, it involved a huge day driving up from a team burst day at Meihan so we got there quite late. Such a cool shop as you said and very welcoming to people having a look around. Sakai-sans wife even made us all Green tea.

I just really like the Motorfix philosophy, its not about how the outside of the car looks its all about how well it is built underneath that counts. Also it seems a lot of what they build is done using off the shelf Toyota parts from other models as opposed to spending mega bucks on aftermarket stuff.

If you hadn't guessed thats kind of what I am trying to replicate with my build. Low budget but maximum fun!

• 1 month later...