Cylinders' 1984 Sunny AD of deliverance

cylinders

Bought this little thing yesterday from a proper English gentleman. He even agreed to take a cash deal (<$2000) and remove it from TM where I was top bidder but auction wasn't closing until 7pm Sunday night, by which time we'd be heading back south. Picking it up Sunday afternoon in Auckland after Kumeu, when the owner returns from a trip to Singapore.

125,xxx kms! 2 NZ owners, the first one imported it at 40,xxx kms and was apparently a millionaire antique dealer who used it to putter between his shops, and the second is the above mentioned gentleman who has used it to commute daily for the last 4 years.

It is a 1984 Nissan Sunny Van (2 door = VB11) with a E13S 1.3L 4 cylinder and 4 speed manual floor shift, in a front tug arrangement. Hopefully the E13S is the Jap market one which claims 75 PS.

Seller's pics will have to do for now, I'll update and replace these with better photo's next week.

11985766053_44ba4e2c30_b.jpg

11986290136_d7cb760a29_b.jpg

11985854934_09e76c7bdb_b.jpg

11985465935_ba74bd71b0_b.jpg

11985465925_b18ca8cb0b_b.jpg

For now the only plan is to get it on the hoist and have a look over it, new fluids and filters, and start dailying the little gem. Cam belt, water pump, CV's, and brakes have been done in the last 20,000 km according to the seller.

But you best believe I've already photochop dropped it with some little alloys. Simple yet effective, the rims are some Zona mesh that were on the 'tard recently.

11986473824_6b587f7e97_b.jpg

Chur
  • Like 2

Picked it up late last night as old mate's flight was delayed in Brisbane. Seems very very solid, no rust, gearbox tight, has the jap spec engine and is Fkn rapid for what it is! Really nice ratios too, it wasn't ringing out like my hilux on the drive down to Mt Maunganui.

Stopped in at the Bombay BP to rendezvous with a FSR of BBS rims for an os lurker.

12038908275_a39bd309e7_b.jpg

I think I pushed it a little harder than it had gone in years today as water started pissing out from under the intake manifold. Heading off to the library for a manual and going to set about finding and fixing the issue this afternoon. Anyone out there with E13/15 experience and advice?

Had some good responses to the issue in the discussion thread, thanks everyone.

Got the manifold off yesterday and found the issue was indeed one of the three 16mm frost plugs in the water galleries of the manifold. While I have access to the back of the block I checked the frost plugs there as well but they all appear to be sound. I then spent all afternoon cleaning up the gasket area around the ports for the new gasket which should arrive this morning with the frost plugs. I'll replace all three as I don't want to be undoing those inner bottom two manifold studs again anytime soon... managed to snap a 3/8 drive extension bit, and destroy my favorite tool of all time, the handy little teng tools pocket ratchet. Luckily both parts are under lifetime warranties.

Here's the bottom side of the manifold showing the three frost plugs.

12101777814_a5207d42de_b.jpg

Pretty clean manifold given that it's 30 years old and appears to have never been removed or cleaned up!

Here's the offending frost plug, for a tiny hole it sure had a good stream coming out of it.

12101385875_19bba7622c_b.jpg

Hopefully the parts arrive and I can work on the thing instead of doing build posts at 9 am!

• 6 months later...

Hmm it's been a while since I updated this...

Long story short, got the frost plug thing sorted and then 2 days later my missus cooked the motor while on a roadtrip with her mates.

*facepalm*

Got it home and eventually found another E13 motor.

14850499993_354e018fe7_c.jpg

14643983359_dae9f2d52a_c.jpg

Did all the usual stuff, waterpump, gaskets, plugs, and some gearbox bits, then slapped it in and went for a hoon.

Drove it like that for a few months, then wof time came around and it failed on the old 110/90/R12 tyres being perished as well as a bit of rust that seems to have really taken off now that it lives a couple blocks from the sea.

So I got a set of 14x6.5 Heroes Racing and some 185/60 tyres to replace the 12x5 cheviots and increase the rolling diameter at the same time. And have nearly finished taking care of the rust (which was down by the door hinges on both sides).

It goes heaps better with the bigger tyres, and running a gps in it shows that the speedo is actually more accurate now than it was so I'm guessing it's alot closer to the factory set up now than it was.

Next thing to do is get it a bit lower.

14643926350_3b7e11731e_c.jpg

• Like 7