• 3 months later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I am beginning to think about planning the inevitable 4age swap into the starlet.

I am thinking a 2nd generation bigport engine mounted to a 3A K-50 (is this a cable clutch box?) ith the KP tailhousing.

Would this be pretty much just need different engine mounts made and driveshaft modifications?

What sort of modifications would be required to the car to get a cert? I am not aiming for massive power and would like to be able to keep EFI if possible.

I'm heading back up north in about 2 weeks and am going to look around to see if I can find some engine rebuilding places that would employ me over summer for my engineering practical work experience. Does anyone know of any such places around Pukekohe?

• 1 month later...

shiney!  nice choice of P-plate too.

quintins site has a bit of kp61 4age info.  http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~quibel/Starlet2a.htm

can buy kp-4ag mounts on trademe.

efi can be the biggest headache if you're not clued with electrickery.  plenty online guides for wiring 4age's so google is your friend. 

Can get away with a brake pad upgrade for cert but can easily cook them when hacking around a track.

K50 and std diff wont last forever if thrashing it around all the time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Christchurch to Auckland and it used half a litre of oil in a 31 year old 4K? Consider yourself winning my man. :D

Another explanation is when was the last time you changed the oil?

If you haven't changed it for a while or only been puttering around the suburbs for the last couple of months then the oil could have retained some contaminants like fuel and possibly even some water.

Getting the oil nice and hot and driving it for 8-10 odd hours constantly will gently simmer the oil up to 100 odd degrees and the water and fuel will slowly evaporate through the breathers and consequently your oil level will drop.

• Like 1

Can't see any blue smoke coming out so I'm guessing you're probably right about the fuel contaminating it and then boiling off. (Did about 1500 km of pure stop-start city driving since oil change).

I need to sleep. :/ On the road for like 18 hour, 2 hours of sleep and then milked the cows and then spent all day getting rejected from every workshop I could find.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Indeed your car is in pristine condition, keep it alive.

I live in Karachi, Pakistan, here we have Starlet in limited numbers but now auto enthusiastic are working hard to restore KP60s. I am also working on my father's KP61 1984, I am facing difficultly in getting parts i.e Tail light, Front Grill, Head Light frames etc, anyway............

Good luck to you and kp.

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...