Berjjj's two wheeled adventures

Berjjj

After I said that, hammer welding, I thought about just cleaning it up and leading it... as long as the steel is well clean and you got a good flux then lead should fill the rust pitting though the rest of the guard... she's a bit knocked up, which, of course, can be a bonus if ratty is the chosen aesthetic.

I know an ol' fellow with a few things like this in his garage, or he did have, as I haven't seen him for a while but I'm going to go over there later as there a Triumph club swap meet at the Kings Arms carpark next saturday and I might be able to sell his bits for him there.

I actually really like bare steel and the abrasions it collects and welds and brazing all finessed then clear coated with drying oils and waxes... gotta keep at it though... steel just wants to go back to the ground!

http://www.returnofthecaferacers.com/2012/05/honda-s90-cafe-racer-by-deus.html

Honda_S90_Cafe.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah bare steel always looks rad, it's just the upkeep that's a pain and clear coat turns out to be a bit disappointing from what I've seen.

Still.. so awesome.

Might try keep the tank bare or something, paint is rugged there, frame is mint.

Seen that pic, this is the main inspiration. Must stick with drums, they're just better k.

2a6tpwj.jpg

• Like 3

Oh, yeah... that's well nice. The blacks thinning as it were and keeping the tire profile low helps... but I've idea the nostalgia thing is gonna morph soon.

As for steel an ol' sculptor I knew said wax but I've yet to find a good one... supposedly. in a book but I haven't tried it yet is boiling down pine resin and beeswax in meths, double boiler of course.

Oh, yeah... that's well nice. The blacks thinning as it were and keeping the tire profile low helps... but I've idea the nostalgia thing is gonna morph soon.

As for steel an ol' sculptor I knew said wax but I've yet to find a good one... supposedly. in a book but I haven't tried it yet is boiling down pine resin and beeswax in meths, double boiler of course.

Yeah just the overall combo works for me. It's not an overly vintage piece with chrome everywhere etc which is sweet.

That's an interesting method, way over my head but I'll have to have a read sometime!

So the stash has been growing, the man I bought the bike off has been an absolute gc with his info and helping me find bits.

The S90z is a pain in the ass due to being an inbetween from the S90 and honda cb's. Mashup of parts with odd fitments. Also being produced for only 2 years means resources are minimal and there's no parts book for it.

Some good news though, has the most aggressive cam of all the 90cc OHC engines and screams (apparently) to 10k, jeah!

Getting there

23uenhz.jpg

Sort of...

69gt3p.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since the e21 now has a hole blown out of the sump, decided to pull finger and get this sorted ASAP.

Almost good to go,

Bit of re wiring was needed but should be allgood now. Tank cleaned, battery in, new brake shoes, exhaust/side stand/foot pegs on etc etc.

Damn headlight bucket doesn't fit though, bloody repro crap.

I'd take a pic but don't want to face the stupid thing again tonight, will order genuine this time.

• 1 month later...

And I quote..

Shopping list for the S90z

Exhaust

Tires

Battery

Revin that mother, then get some clubmans or low bars and roll.

Haaaahahaha.... good one.

So I've stripped the motor, will be getting the top end honed with new piston/rings and fresh valves lapped along with the seats.

Really happy with the condition overall, some gross bits due to moisture but the rockers and cam are as new, basically at stock measurements.

New gaskets going in all round, shit this better be the one and only time I have to take it apart.

Bottom end is also all sweet, might replace the clutch plates just incase though they look new, this motor hasn't had a hard life at all.

Gross..

2ypf7sm.jpg

k9b1hv.jpg

Bit of a chip in the crankcase around the rear sprocket, some JB weld will sort it, thankfully it's just cosmetic.

33e2c5d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 days from the Netherlands to Auckland. 3 days from one side of Auckland to the other, I guess traffic was bad? ha.

BUT OH MY LOOK AT THE COLOUR

11t8miu.jpg

The marks on the top of the tank are tape that's been on there for a good 30 years.

Tried de-solv-it to no avail, any suggestions? Don't want to risk ruining the paint.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...