Berjjj's two wheeled adventures

Berjjj

so... updates

thought I'd make a start on reassembly since I had all the bits needed,

split crankcase before cleaning

23w1641.jpg

spent a good hour or two removing all the baked on gaskets, cleaning bearings, applying lube where needed,

21muptw.jpg

found these cracks throughout, they aren't deep but show on both sides :/

op9zrq.jpg

should I be concerned or just roll as is?

hwls8y.jpg

was about to but..

b6ppx1.jpg

Yeah, don't cheap out on gaskets. These shitty things weren't even close. Avoid 'NLK' branded ones at least.

I've just spent hours measuring every single spec on the parts really, so it better be the one and only time I split it.

Did buy some tires, last in stock at cycletreads and didn't have to pay gst, win.

10xc2nd.jpg

Oh, also rebuilt the carb, wired a modern rectifier, chopped spare ct90 bars to turn into a clubman-ish set.

Should be updating more often now as the most tedious bits are over.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha no updates worth mentioning, exams have me by the balls at the moment. Soon though.
Apparently the m45 Michelins go pretty well, I got them from cycletreads. Definitely call up if you're ordering though 'cause their online stock levels are often out of date.

• 5 months later...

2rz8m80.jpg

Ready to reunite it with the bike and get the damn thing back on the road.

Didn't repaint the crankcase/head etc because a] I'm lazy, b] kinda like the fact it doesn't look rebuilt and c] paint would mess with heat dissipation apparently.

• Like 3

Honda tech: "Oh hey you know what would be hilarious?! A rats nest of wires in a shitty little headlight bucket where connections prove a nightmare to trace!"

346az50.jpg

The bike is almost complete again, just going to get a new chain and bolt on the bling bling chain guards.
Stock handlebars for now as I need to re vin, easier when it's all standard as in case I need verification from the good old VCC.

10frr5u.jpg

Tried starting it as well but the stupid bloody 2 wheeled piece of misery has no spark, checked the condenser, coil, points. No idea what else it could be.

System is 6 volt, any ideas?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well there's something up in the loom, probably a short in the nether regions.
Can'd be fucked pulling off the conduit and tracing it so have ordered a NOS replacement. Bonus is this one is labelled with an original mode l# and production year. Should help with revin.

Fingers crossed it does the trick.

Once you spend enough time with bike looms you soon figure em out. They are actually really simple once you get your head around it.

All the jap manufacturers generally use the same colour coded wiring across most of their bikes (eg dark brown on Yamaha is for one sides turn signals, orange is for coils)

Google is your friend, search for a wiring diagram and cross your fingers. If you find one, even better a colour coded one it will help imensely.

Great looking bike BTW.

Yeah I would work on the loom if it wasn't tucked away with everything connected inside the pressed frame.

Last thing I want is to sort this issue, then have it fuck out on me and have to pull the whole thing out again haha.

Thankfully I scored a shop manual with the wiring diagram so that's one less headache!

Thanks, though your kawa is really something to brag about, if only I had the coin!

• 2 weeks later...

Still being a pain, rewired with NOS loom, fucking park light is always on, no indicators, no spark, I'm now cross eyed from staring at the wiring diagram for hours, about to burn the whole bloody thing to the ground.

Like I said on Nicks post;

When indicators stop going people usually just buy a flasher (only) unit however some bikes have a relay built into the flasher unit (Yamaha does for sure and looks like this;)

115-83350-62.jpg

Units that are just a flasher are generally the same shape but physically a far smaller cylinder, like so;

$_35.JPG

If this cylindrical device claps out, or has a bad connection no indicators will work at all.

The headlight bucket is relatively simple.

There will probably be a connector with 4 inputs, this will be the earth, sometimes they connect daisy chain style but whatever there is the most of one colour in the headlight bucket will be the earth.

There will be two connectors with two or three inputs for each side of the indicators. Dark green is one side, brown is the other on Yamahas 

Each indicator unit will have one wire coming out of it probably black, these go into the corresponding dark green or brown side.

The rest of the colours just match up in there and there should be no unconnected wires in there.

If I was in Aucks I would just rock round and solve it for you.

Thanks for the advice, I've got a flasher unit on the way now thankfully.

Have checked the wiring multiple times over & fairly certain everything is connected properly. What you said sounds right re. the indicators and ground though. Wondering if the switches could also be a source of my problems. Have cleaned them out but who knows.

Tried two coils but no spark. New condenser + rectifier as well.

Going to try a third coil when it arrives, hopefully that sorts spark issue because the wiring passed my basic continuity tests hah.

Auckland's a great place to live you know, many bargains to be had.

(Above statement is in no way biased by a desire to have it solved for me)

• 2 months later...

I couldn't help myself..

os7on5.jpg

xne0ex.jpg

Been wanting a z650 forever, almost settled for a cb750 but this came up in the nick of time. I think I read every possible FAQ and service bulletin before getting my hands on it!

Not much to report so far, new tires and WOF sorted. Already has the suspension pretty well set up so that's one thing off the list. We'll see where this leads.

(still no spark on the s90z, will keep trying though)

• Like 5