Rivalrx - 1972 Mazda 618 Coupe

rivalrx

I agree - the rear panel looks killer. I have a complete rx2 beaver panel, lights and garnish that will remain a wall hanging for now, as it's likely I keep this look.

The auto badge haha yea.....I need to double side tape the garnish on and this particular one has all the pins in tact on the back. My mate has another one with no pins, so I probably will get that as I'm loathed to cut the pins if someone else can use the original un-messed with one.

6 of us bought a tyre machine and balancer last week - this will be stashed in a mates shed and should save us loads on trye changing etc. That and earn us beer money for letting others use it. Some tyre places charge like wounded bulls for tyre removal/fitting.

• Like 1

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Riiight - now that RE union and the nats are done and dusted, I'm able to cobble together manpower to help piece together the sled.

Just a couple more engine bay coats remaining and then we can get the front end in.

Diff should be in this week

• Like 1

I picked up some hi tensile bolts and 'cone lock' nuts. The guy told me there is no need for spring washers if you use 'cone lock' nuts?

Anyone know if this is the case and if they are all good, can the 'cone lock' nuts be removed without compromising the 'cone lock' properties?

• 2 weeks later...

Yea - next steps...

Front struts, steering, sway bar and arms in = rolling

extend oil pick up and then I can put the sump on. Then box and this all can be mounted in the car.

Plenty more things to do also...stress

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sooo....

Auckland Balancing is finishing off my drive shaft next week and balancing it up. New slip yolk and UJs.

my seats both front and back are getting trimmed now and I've blasted and painted the rails. Just need to paint the side mechanisms when I get them back.

car is 97% dynamatted and the new roof lining is here,

i bought a new rx2 steering knuckle, as the old one looked terrible in the engine bay - that's here this week coming too.

looks like I might have an rx2 coupe exhaust to bolt on soon from a mates car... Watch this space.

fun times, almost time to book in the cert

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

the d shaft is all in

brakes bled and clutch is primed

all of my seats have returned and are looking great. I,d say 8/10 job however for $1800 for all incl the material, Im not complaining as pretty much all other places quoted were into the $3500 region and I ain.t loaded.

I am struggling with the hood lining at the mo and once that is in, I can get the front and rear screens in place once and for all

The RX2 coupe exhaust I got off my mate needed some finessing to make fit - my coupe was a piston and has the sunken wheel well which the rx2 doesnt have. thus meaning the rear 3 inch section needed a re work and I needed a smaller length rear muffler- I also put in 2 additional resonators therefore it should prove not too loud....well close to the max limit anyway.

I will have the d shaft loop all welded up and in place shortly too.

It also needs another couple of hours on the wiring and then it.s interior in time.

closer....closer

• Like 2