ziptie's '64 Morris Oxford Traveller

Ziptie

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/40993-zipties-64-morris-oxford-traveller/

I'm thinking about putting a Datsun/Nissan A15 or L16/18 with a 5 speed transmission into this wagon.  I've never done an engine swap before but it would turn this car into something reliable and capable of long distances.  If any of you have advice to offer it would be much appreciated.

Don't you dare wreck this car with a Datto engine transplant. The B series is a super reliable and lovely motor.

If anything find an MGB motor and an overdrive gearbox.

Any advice you need I'm happy to help. Keep it BMC, theres a world of options and tuning parts available.

• Like 1

Borgweiser, thanks, that's good to hear.  All I ever hear about English cars is that you have to work on 'em every weekend.  I don't mind doing that and I have been since I bought her. That is why she gets better every week. But I want to be able to pull a tiny caravan and drive up north or down to Hamilton whenever I want and know that I won't have to spend a few hours on the side of the road on the way. 

If you have any tuning tips or knowledge about putting an overdrive on it let me know.  I'd much rather keep it stock (ish) but I'd rather have a useable everyday driver than a weekend classic.

I'm thinking about swapping out the single carb for a dual carb and manifold from a Riley of the same series.  Do you, or anyone on the forum, know if this is a straight swap? 

Uterus: Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'd get better handling from the springs redone to original then lowered on blocks then just sagging old rusty springs.  Plus they look better.

• Like 1

This car can be every bit as reliable as a jappa so long as you do the usual servicing. It'll just leak everywhere. that is all. Maybe fit electronic ignition pickup into dizzy - only if you cant be bothered checking points..which aint a hassle really.

I love this wagon. sweet car!

Just remember an MGB is basically a Morris Oxford convertible. All the running gear is shared. So if you want uprated shocks, more power and better diff ratios- do what the MGB boys do. You'll find a wealth of information online. If you want to go twin carbs, find a set off a Riley or similar to suit a 1622. 1800 ones are a bit rich in the jetting for your motor.

Electronic ignition is good, not neccesary if you are capable of setting up dwell correctly. Check the condition of the mechanical advance and vaccum advance as these get forgotten about and really affect performance. More importantly, rust proof the front chassis outriggers- if they are still there. famous BMC rust spot.

Thanks Borgweiser.  I don't really know much about ignition systems; dwell, vacuum advance etc...  I've replaced the distributor and put in an electronic ignition.  It is definitely running better but I can hear that the timing is off under load.  How do I adjust the vacuum advance or check that it is correct? 

I've found a set of RIley carbs and manifold on TradeMe.  Should be here soon. 

The chassis outriggers were rebuilt before I bought the car.  New metal has been welded in..

Overall the car is running great.  Everytime I fix something I hear something else that needs attention.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the dual SU carbs and manifolds finally. I've gone through them, cleaned them all out, put em back together and they're ready to go on.  Only problem is that looking at the cast iron exhaust manifold I noticed that the flange that attaches to the exhaust is cracked off.  Does anyone know where I could take it to have a new one welded on?  The entire exhaust might as well be replaced.  Can anyone recommend a good exhaust/muffler place?  Also would like to get some more old school looking tyres instead of the little tires it has on it right now.  A thin whitewall would look pretty nice.  Any recommendations on where to get decent tyres?