Sam's MT250

Sambo

So Yeah, picked this up today after wanking all over the forum about it  :-D

20131019_1714471_zps9b3d16ad.jpg

20131019_1715021_zps52d0951f.jpg

20131019_1723271_zpsb8a08185.jpg

20131019_1730521_zps5aef303b.jpg

It's been sitting in a damp garage for more than 20 years. No one can remember why, but it wasn't going when it was left there. It has since had a few parts robbed for my cousin's other one (that got stolen circa '95) or just gone missing. Still has it's old black plate and all the lights etc but is missing the expansion chamber, rear brake cable and a few other bits and bobs. I've ordered a second hand chamber from Ebay. Wheeling it down the drive today I couldn't get it to go in neutral and it still seemed to have pretty ok compression (which made wheeling it pretty hard).

Now it just needs a strip down to see what the problems are. Hopefully get underway with that after exams finish on the 9th. 

The plan is to restore to ok condition, revin and then use it as a street legal dirtbike (duh).  Blue smoke errday.

• Like 3

sweet, better nick than what i was expecting,

whip that engine out and pull the head, and give us a look mister D:

hopefully no water has managed to get into the bottom end and seize the conrod to the crank  and all big end bearings seized(had this happen to a bridgestone i owned) 

hopefully its just a top end rebuild, gear box oil, and carb to sort,  and obviously all the frame stuff ;)

keep us posted,  did you get that work shop manual i put a link up for?

Cheers guys. Yeah, it's better than I was expecting/remembering to be honest. It's not seized, it was turning over and making nice popping noises while I was wheeling it down the driveway.

Yeah, I got the manual, I'm real excited to get into it now. 3 weeks to go!

Just have to disconnect accelerator cable and oil hose thing and the engine is out. Choice.

Looking at the side of the piston through the exhaust port, it's got some really heavy heavy scoring all down the side. I'm expecting something pretty terminal when I strip it down.

Got stuck in for a bit more today, I can always do these exams again next semester amirite?

Got the motor off/out and whipped the head off. Top of the piston looks a bit coked bit otherwise ok (the crumbly looking bit at the edge is just the photo/trick of the light) and I managed to get a picture of the side of the piston. How does it look experts?

20131028_141534_zps6a8d21bf.jpg

20131028_141617_zps6c83f830.jpg

I also found a helmet visor tucked in between the engine covers in the parts box:

20131026_172609_zps6fe61ade.jpg

I already had this:

20131026_172555_zps961f4a41.jpg

Now I have this: 

20131026_173056_zps948bab7e.jpg

Very happy, period spec-ish helmet.