Sam's MT250

Sambo

Yeah, I'm not overly concerned about the piston, I'm asking if anyone might be able to tell why it wasn't running when it was parked up. I am not likely to be stripping the bottom end before exams (I say now), but I'm really keen to know what I need to buy.

you'd have to see the whole piston to see if its seized all way round or just on the exhaust port to make a more accurate opinion can you not remove the barrel from the bottom end ? id take the barrel off see if these is any play in the big end if not id leave and look at the top end and just rebuild that 

Ah, just realised I misread your first post. Makes more sense in my head now :lol:

I'll see how time goes tomorrow, may get a chance to whip the barrel off after breakfast.

EDIT: Bah, can you tell I'm an amateur? Didn't realise the cylinder was fastened with the same bolts as the head.

Cylinder has some pretty bad damage below both the intake and exhaust ports, the exhaust side is worse. Bottom end seems ok to me, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

New piston has arrived. It's nice. "Winning with Wiseco".

Does anyone know much about the locks on these older jap bikes? I've just realised that I don't have a key for this thing. So my options are: New set of locks and keys, or try and find a locksmith to cut a key to suit the lock? Or are they like my 80's toyotas where one key starts pretty much all of them?

• 4 weeks later...

Choice.

Just found out the other day that Dad is mates with a locksmith. Sorted.

Got a box of indicators the other week. Almost sorted for those now. Just trying to scrape together some coin to get the cylinder bored for the new piston.

• 6 months later...

Oh hey 2 wheels section!

Now that my AE85 is almost legal, and my kitchen/lounge are almost done, I've got a bit of bike time again. Just won the war against the seat, I'm fairly sure I have the right key for the seat, but it's seized up and won't turn and the hinges had big hoary nails instead of split pins. Just managed to fuck the nails enough to get it off. 

Turns out I needs a new seat, the metal frame thingy is rusted as and the vinyl is splitting anyway. On the plus side, I found the old wof tag. It'll be preserved to help prove the bike is what I say it is. I can't quite make out if the last wof was in '94 or '84. It sounds like my uncle has just bought a do up one of these too, that came with heaps of parts. Choooice. Incidentally, the same uncle who gave this bike to my cousin (not his son though). Can't wait to get stuck in.

What's the best way to refinish a frame on a budget? Just wire brush and paint?

• 7 months later...