Twin Carbs for Hillman Hunter

Hillman_Wag

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone could help me... I have a 1976 Hillman Hunter Station Wagon that is very slow and gutless - I was wanting to make it go mint an have no issues cruising at 100kms. Was wondering if it was possible to fit twin DCOE 40's to it... I don't know where to start, I have been told due to the cast iron head this cannot be done? any ideas...

I recently had a 77 Hunter station wagon. Standard 1750cc With standard single Stromberg carb and it was far from gutless, It went really well. Perhaps your one just needs a good tune? As for easily cruising at 100kph the limiting factor is the gearing not the actual motor. I had to cruise at 85-90kph as it was revving its nuts off at 100. Try fitting a sedan diff. they are much Higher ratio. 3.5 & 3.7:1 I believe. Wagon ones are shit 4.4:1 usually. Or you could try finding a Manual overdrive gearbox from the likes of a singer vogue or sunbeam rapier. Hope this helps.

yeah i had a hillman hunter gls, im sure that it was just a single carb (but can't remember now) and it used to fly,  would do over 200kmh which was ridiculous considering how shit the brakes were,

some times bigger carbs arn't always better,  i down sized the carb in my velox, and got 5hp extra on the dyno and better mpg :D

my 69 hunter used to do 160kph easily... i shit you not..it was my first car and i got scared at 100mph...

it didnt handle the best but the brakes were mint...i rolled it

try a different carb on it, yours may be worn to hell

you guys must of had different hunters to the three iv owned, 140ish would be screaming their tits off, got 100mph down a nassive hill in my last one and it biffed a rod lol. 200kph is hard to imagine for a modded one let alone a standard issue beast. twin alpine stromberg carbs are a nice easy swap i believe? dunno if they would make a large difference.

200 kph? Riiiiiight

i know :D  may be the speedo was massively out, it was the days before gps's  it did have over drive which was cool,

just had a look at the specs and looks like it did have a twin carb motor 1725cc producing 107hp  so that surely could do 200 on the clocks??