Abarths V50

Abarth

Haha it does look big in that shot.

Work continued this weekend, swapped the old dented forks for the new ones. While I had it apart I took the time to clean up and regrease the suspension setup, messy job but looks heaps more tidy now. 

znj4.jpg

I also brough this kit from Wemoto to put into the front, however I think its for the later model V50's as the bushes are a little bit too long for mine. PM me if you want the kit for your V50 as I wont be using it now. Its all there except for the felt dust seals.

mg4f.jpg

Gave the bore a good hone, got most of the scoring out. Measured up the new piston rings and the end gaps are well within range. Almost back together now, just have to sort the throttle mechanism as it was broken into three pieces inside the handle bar. Can't wait to take it for a good hoon with the new rings!

m984.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

imv.JPG

More work continued this weekend. Got the new rear tire fitted to the rim, matching tires, fancy.

Put the front back together, all lights go and speedo now works. Just need a throttle part to sort a minor problem with the throttle cable.

Motor runs sweet after putting in the new rings and gaskets, definately can hear the motor has more compression. Had a measure of the ring end gap of the old rings and they were well fucked.

It still has a bit of trouble starting from cold, I'm pretty sure the condenser is on its last legs. I've got a new one to solder in so hopefully that solves the issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Soldiered in the new condenser and gapped the new points, starts almost first pop now, without the use of the choke either.

Took it for a couple of decent rides, running in the rings, going well, awesome v-tec rotang port 2 stroke powerband. Only managed a max of 30mph in the begining. Found the air/fuel mixture screw was way out, screwed it in and leaned the air/fuel mixture right off and vola 35mph on the flat. Still has a bit of a flat spot at WOT in 3rd gear, I suspect its running a bit rich in the top end, would like to try a slightly smaller main jet but for now she's going sweet.

2ayf.jpg

0iio.jpg

sjg3.jpg

• Like 6

All was well with the little Yamaha untill one morning the garage floor was covered in petrol. I replaced all the fuel and oil lines as they were way past their best before date. I used a clear fuel hose I got from Scootling, kind cool being able to see the fluilds. Also an awesome fuel indicator gauge haha.

Anyways opened the garage this morning and it is still leaking grrr, no as bad as I still had petrol left in the tank this time.

The fuel looks like its leaking from the front of the carb out of the smaller of the brass holes in the front next to the screw in jet thing. No idea why, any advice on why this is is doing this would be max appreciated.

l0e.JPG

hmmm i had a similar carb on my kh125, and that would piss fuel out randomly,

whats the state of the float needle and its seat??

some times you just suck a bit of shit into the bowl and it gets stuck on the seat,

not letting the float needle to fully close off, bowl over fills, and out she comes,

if your needle has a wee seat line it might cause the same problem

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet cheers, I'm trying to find a Mikuni rebuild kit for right now.

Still running sweet, I reckon its got a bit quicker since its had time to run the new rings. Been driving it to work every friday no problems.

For the first time in its whole life I gave it a cut and polish today, came up looking great, I quite like the clean rat look, a complete oxymorn but it works.

Finnished off the other side of the tires, filling in the letters with a white marker pen.

zn4n.jpg

Really keen to get the seat re-done after seeing Moglix's KZ440 seat.

3xd4.JPG

Added a wing mirror. Actually its a $12 special from tratme made for a push bike since the ID of the handel bars is so narrow. Super practical when riding and easliy pops off if its mount if I want to remove it. 

4s7x.jpg

Played round with the front mudguard since it was broken in half already. I could trim the front off more and just keep the back part fitted nice and low. I kind of like how the end of the mud guard flicks up and matches the rear mud guard fin. Problem is suspension travel, cant get that nice low look without hitting the tire over bumps. So for now its staying off.

fr75.jpg

• Like 1

Added some baffle in the form of steel wool to the inside of the exhaust. Reduced the noise by 3 or 4 decables at idle according to the iphone and generally sounds a bit nicer /deeper when cruising along.

yte.JPG

And this is for sale too in the For Sale section as I'm moving to London shortly.