ODBs V50

ODB

So have a new addition lurking in the depths of the garage - fleet has doubled!

Those GCs Gomaxgo and AndyGal shot down to Timaru picking up other Scoots and managed to get mine on the back of the ute too - onya boys.

Got 2 frames- one with good engine (apparently) that had had a bit of a small smash up front.  They turned up like this - sorry for shit photo!

scootsoriginal_zpsc0eaf84b.png

Been ripping in last few nights and its fair to say that there is a lot of work ahead but have accomplished a fair bit - rear brake was seized as a mofo and got that running sweet as.

Engine always sounded like it wanted to go and it does!

Got a key cut at local locksmiths and  all electrics work and it runs sweet as.

scootkeyetc_zpsda2f64f4.jpg

As you can see above I have also been ripping into the fecked handlebars and levers etc.  All this is rooted and has to go.  Have stripped back more or less to stem and have got a set of risers/bar clamps to hold 1" bars on the way.

scootcarb_zps0332f5c2.jpg

Whipped the carb off and cleaned it outside and in to make sure wasnt all cruddy.  Sure enough it was all gummed up inside so have cleaned most of the 40 odd years of shite out of there.  Now looks like this ^^.  Guy reported it as pissing out fuel when it stops running but when I took the carb to bits the float thingys were sticking so Im putting it down to that - doesnt appear to be doing it anymore.

scoot1_zps90c610ad.jpg

Ripped the HUGE seat off and cleaned up the crud underneath where the two smoke goodness / gas goes.  Levers above the rear indicators are being right pricks or Im being a soft cock cos I cant get them off and expose the frame / rear shocks.

Will have to give the rear seat some thought and the bars.

Initial ideas are to position a single seat behind the oil / gas fillers, right above back wheel (you can see some convenient bolt holes), stretch legs out to front pegs and have some wild ape hanger/chopper bars.

Will try and track down some telescopic forks that work (RD50? any others?) and retro fit.  Paint scheme as yet undecided but leaning towards either matte black with wild pink wheels and pink bars or candy oranage with chrome - thinking the former as it will hide a multitude of oxidisation and years of neglect better.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good dude! I think there is a V50 on our Quake City Rumblers Fb Page that has wild Ape bars!

There aint many modified V50s around aye. Go see Andy and have a look over his for mod Inspiration. Pretty sure he is about to extend his swingarm too!

Keep up the good work dude!

Hours and hours of cheap fun on these bikes

• Like 1

128724687_full.jpg

Hmmmm.  Seems to be a lot of cool gear from the lowrider cycling scene in NZ - is this stuff safe to use on scoots?

I figure no as the pipe walls will be thicker / built to withstand engine vibration etc plus only a "centre" spot to lock the bars on - not two

• Like 2

Have managed to track down the front end from one of these:

RD_50_77.jpg

cunt wants moonbeams for it though so will have to weigh it up - ah well pimpin aint EZ.

guy actually has two front ends apparently so if any one else wants to join the party and split costs could be a go.

Im in process of beating him down - asking $165 for forks of $210 for forks and triple clamps etc.

Then freight on top - like I said IMO he is asking moonbeams.

GuyWithAviators is also pretty keen in going in on this I understand and has contacted me first - will advise what the old boy has got and go from there.  Im not too worried with buying/onselling for profit just would be happy to split freight with someone

Yeah the mighty v50 is hardly a hog but I get your drift.

I figured that cosmetic bits like sissy bar etc should be sweet but steering and weight bearing stuff be a big no no.

Cheers for the heads up

I have a seat post from that guy and the quality is good and the gold chrome or whatever it is looks lush. Edit: I was surprised when it turned up I thought it would be real shit cos it was so cheap.

but yeh I wouldn't run those bars cos they look gay.

lol

Should probably explain above post a bit better - prior to this had raided parts bike for a throttle cable and assembly that worked so I can actually ride it while Im waiting for new risers/clamps and pick some wild bars.

Got that sorted and came to the realisation that the throttle linkage thing was also stuffed.  Pretty sure it pulls on the oil pump and gas at same time - anyways that was busted.

So got the part that attaches the two cables to the one cable and needed to put some sort of cylinder around it to keep it together.

Being 12 midnight I couldnt get a new one so tried to cut a piece of garden hose and wrap it as diametre was right.

Started her up to check my rangi mod had worked as expected.

It had not and throttle got stuck on 100% - cue insane 2 stroke buzz and smoke in driveway - waking the mrs and probably some neighbours and me sleeping in the spare room.

Doh

• Like 3

244-104-throttle-cable-junction-box-2-wa

On its way today!  dont know if its the exact part I need but in theory it will do the job ie pulling on the throttle and the two smoke cable at same time instead of 2 carbs. meh cost $12 only!

PS am out of doghouse and spare room and now have a new clock in the garage -score!

• Like 1