Matt_spitfire's TA22 Daily Driver build/resto

That looks like a huge fuckup and I'd be seeking partial refund.

Get your old man to measure od of center and id of barrel so you know how much larger it COULD have been.. It looks like there is a few mm gap there that could have made all the difference!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at your wheels. If I was being paid $1500 to make custom rims, I would have rang you the minute I worked out that the centres wouldn't work with the rims. Personally I would be down there talking to the chap who worked on them and get him to explain to you how he though the rims would bolt up. I would start off nice about it up to the point where he tries to say it isn't his problem. Then I would be kicking off big styles.

But your first step is get in there and get him to "please explain" what he he thinks about them.

Just looking at your wheels. If I was being paid $1500 to make custom rims, I would have rang you the minute I worked out that the centres wouldn't work with the rims. Personally I would be down there talking to the chap who worked on them and get him to explain to you how he though the rims would bolt up. I would start off nice about it up to the point where he tries to say it isn't his problem. Then I would be kicking off big styles.

But your first step is get in there and get him to "please explain" what he he thinks about them.

Hey mate, yeah I've emailed him just to point out the issue, I'm not trying to stir any shit or bad mouth the guy as apart from the obvious issue I'm really happy with how they came out.

Just thought id see if it was just me being fussy and I've missed something or how people would go about it or have any easy fixes

I think what might have happened is there's a generic size they use for the barrels and theyve been spun up then realised the centres aren't a generic size and machined them down.

I'm sure there will be a way around it

But it looks like b the diameter could do with being 5mm larger? You would have to chamfer the rear outer edge to clear the radius in the barrel but at least it would look right and the heads would have meat to sit on

Correct, about 5-6mm would have done it, ill wait to hear back (hopefully tomorrow) and go from there. pretty keen to get it sorted asap so i can work out my ride height and fabricate new rear suspension towers its been up on axel stands for too long haha

So its the way the tooling is set up for 15" lips/barrels, and most people dont use the 12pt bolts they switch to a cap screw.

My centres must be slightly over sized from the generic 15" centres, going to call into black fasteners tomorrow and see what they have in the way of cap screws and nuts. it may be a case of having to drilling new holes with a different pcd between the existing holes.

Ill keep you updated on how this works out. fingers crossed the cap screws will do the trick but im not getting my hopes up, 0.95mm isnt a hell of a lot to work with.

Cheers

Matt

So went into blacks fasteners and bought some m8 caps and nuts, drilled 4 holes in one of the outer lips thats going on the front (using original inner barrel which has had front lip machined off, not a new barrel).

looked like the nuts might just fit hard up on the inner barrel with one side linished, but the cap screw head fouls on the outer radius of the front lip.

Im looking to buy some other centres off a fellow OS member with the hope the the outer bolt pcd is a few mm lower.

If this isnt the case then maybe ill have get the original bolt hole welded up on the centres and drill new ones to suit a 6mm cap this also means id have to weld up the holes and drill new ones in the originl front inner barrels.

The only other option is sloting the original holes but this is far from ideal, i dont really want brand new custom wheels that have been done dodgy.

This is starting to turn into a bit of a headache..

are you going to ask for some compensation from the company that did them? seems like its going to cost you a shitload more in headaches and money that it was to widen them in the first place! 

I'll see how the new centres look when they arrive and if I'm still in the same predicament with those thats when I'll get my engineer to call the company, they'll be able to explain the problem and the work involved to remedy the problem along with cost at which point ill see if there will be anything in the way of compensation.

Can you sandwich the centre in between the two barrels?

I could do this but it would throw out all my widths and offsets by about 15-20mm as these wheels were made specifically to fit the ta22 with the shortened hilux diff and mx7* front brakes and callipers, disks etc, also the width as it is now means i can get cert with decent tyres and not have to switch them out afterwards.

the centres would still need to be redrilled or slotted in order to clear the rear barrel and front lip radius's as even though the centre is sandwiched between the two lips the current bolt hole pcd's left as they are would still foul on the inner barrel and outer lips.

also the original inner barrels from the existing 2 piece wheels that have been machined down would also need re-drilling as they're still running the original bolt pcd's.

i thought i could get away with not having to do anything to the fronts but the cap screws foul on the new outer lips  (I'm running 8mm caps as the original 12pt bolts were 8mm).

I think ill just wait until these other centres show up to see if i can make them work or not thats when ill seek some compensation to cover some of the cost to invovled to make the wheels work.

Cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Ive just bought another w55 with 160km on it, i want to swap out the rear position shifter housing to a mid position shifter housing of one of my spare w55s, can anyone recumbent a good sealant i can use or should i just make up a gasket out of some gasket paper?

Cheers

Matt 

• 1 month later...

So just thought id follow up on my wheels, cant recommend the  guys who did them highly enough! remade the wheels free of charge and assembled them then sent them back no questions asked.

At the end of the day i realise making custom parts doesnt always run smoothly sometimes you need a few cracks at it.

once again i would highly recommend these guys and will happily get other wheels made by them in the future.

I've been following your build for a while now, and have just read through the entire thing again.  I am amazed at your build quality and your use of all the custom parts you have made up with the CNC machines and mills and things, this is seriously cool.  I wish I could replicate the skill and quality of your build in my Subaru, but I just don't have the funds, contacts, or experience.

Freakin' top build Matt, once in a lifetime type shit! Awesome.

• Like 1

I've been following your build for a while now, and have just read through the entire thing again.  I am amazed at your build quality and your use of all the custom parts you have made up with the CNC machines and mills and things, this is seriously cool.  I wish I could replicate the skill and quality of your build in my Subaru, but I just don't have the funds, contacts, or experience.

Freakin' top build Matt, once in a lifetime type shit! Awesome.

Thanks for the kind words nobangmycar,

A lot of thanks has to go out to my dad, his engineering skills and access to the work shop have made this build run a lot smoother. he got me working in his workshop since i was 11 years old, 3-4 days a week after school and every school holidays. when i finished school i worked there for 6 months before uni then when i finished uni i was back there for another year and a half, i learned a lot and kind of wish i had done my appenticeship but then i would have never got to uni.

the car had been built on a serious budget, i earn under $20 an hr, one of the joys of living in nelson.. the sunshine tax.. hence the huge build time.

I have recently resorted to selling my daily driver and bought a shitbox daily to free up some funds for this build so hopefully the ball will start rolling again with the build. ideally im aiming to have it on the road by novemeber but only time will tell. things never go as planned.. we all know this is the case with project cars..

Cheers

Matt

Went and saw my cert guy this arvo, explained the build to date along with my plans supplied photos and drawings of rear towers, and also took all the gear for my rear towers, coil overs etc with me to show him. Hes more than happy, so pretty stoked to hear that and the project is full steam ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought id post this up, the Sushi celica. stumbled across this a while back now but theyve taken a similar route to what im going down..

Blacked out trim, bumpers, vents, grill etc. ill be going mazda sunlight silver with a satin clear, black wheels, no flares, side skirts or cannon muffler..

14641344875_ea573b748c_c.jpg
IMG_7623 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr

13276941835_ce37be2568_c.jpg
IMG_4001 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr

13277306144_e1280b7b45_c.jpg
IMG_4041 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr

12898840184_e360e0e7f6_c.jpg
IMG_2230 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr

12898435415_70d013581b_c.jpg
IMG_2226 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr

12584537675_60a0d8a61d_c.jpg
IMG_1195 by 2Dkomplex, on Flickr