Sony head unit buttons won't work...any ideas?

yoeddynz

We have a Sony Cdx- gt590ui mp3 player in the housetruck. Its only about 2 years old.

The buttons on the front of the unit, except the eject, have stopped working. the eject won't eject but instead scrolls through the functions..taking over the job of the source button. It has a infrared remote. This won't work either. Have tried resetting the unit via the little button behind the removable face. Sometimes the unit will then go into demo mode. Sometimes won't.

Plug in an iPod and it plays but no buttons respond.

Inserted a cd. I knew I shouldn't have. I now have ' an emotional fish' (90s Irish band) playing non stop. Could have been worse.....

I have read the manual. Nothing. Cleaned the contacts. Nup. Looked on google- seems that Sony have a penchant for making things that last for a finite time then decide to crap out. And a few headunits out there with similar faults. But no ideas.

Can anyone here help? I hate the thought of replacing what has been a great unit till now because of some potentially silly fault.

I will of course ring Sony nz and find out that they can't do anything..Or can try to fix it at $70 an hour..