toy-mota 1971 toyota ms65 crown

toy-mota

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dude, seroiusly dont be scared of runnign cut springs in these.

The springs are super long and can handle alot, and still travel really well as the spring rate is the same.

I'm trying to think how much to cut out in the front. i always forget.

think its around 1.5 coils....

Normally you will have to trim down the front bump stops too, which are attached to the front caster arms.

If you are worried about doing that, you can buy super low bump stops from BNT / Autolin.

or part master via the mount shop.

these have a bolt through them, so you just pull out the old bump stops, bolt the new bump stop in, and put a bolt through the other hole.

works a treat, but onyl really nessercy if you wof man is a sack

Also those sun visors are sweeet.

Pretty sure they are the same make as the one I bought from Airplex.

super awesome, great quality, and fit with no hassels at all.

I'm probabaly going to get one for my hilux that I dont own yet also haha

I dont mind mesh, but prefer solid

cheers for the info Seedy.can you give me quick run down of how to pull the springs out of the front and any troubles i mite face,i tried a m8s rim on the front thats been widened to 8inch it sticks 40mm out of the guards as is, so guard widening will be needed,will i need to shorten the shocks?,how low will 1.5 coils get me,i want down to around 100mm,if all going well (there not sure about shipping to NZ) ill get a visor next pay

hmmm. as i know you have a general idea of what you are doing I will give you some pointers

So its double wish bone suspention.

jack up, remove wheels. Un do tie rod end.

Undo lower ball joint nut, then screw it back on a few turns.

Hammer that till it comes loose.

Now undo sway bar links, Then loosen off the two bolts that hold ont the front caster arm to the lower arm, then loosen off the massive nut on the front of the caster rod and remove.

Now remove the whole rod.

Remove the shock from the top and then slide it out through the bottom.

Put jack under lower arm. (Should have noted eariler, when you jack car up, jack it high enough so the the whole lower arm can swing its legnth downward.)

With the jack taking the weight of the spring, undo the remain turns on the lower ball joint nut. Now the hub and up right should all be free from the bottom arm.

Slowly lower the jack, allowing the lower arm to get pushed down by the spring, until It cant go any lower. then get a large bar, and force the spring out of its perch at the bottom., there is still a little bit of pressure there so be careful.

Anyway that should have the springs out.

Now, hmmmm.... I am worried that I ahvnt got 1.5 coils right. I would suggesting Pm'ing spencer as he loves cutting crown springs haha he might give you some insight. In fact, no. 1.5 is to much, I think. I remeber I cut to much out of the other green ms65 that is on here when I had it, opps.

But no, you wont need shorter shocks in the front, In the back, yes.

so weekend was half productive,took wheels into elite wheels in chch to get widened,installed a new electric antenna,sorted out what sounds im getting just got to wire them all up,got a quote back from HY-WAY Sunvisors Australia so it ended up being $183 for the visor and $420 for shipping to chch,so flag them going to have to go local or make 1,

what the fuck!

I tink my visor all up sost me $360 through airplex.

and they got it to me within a week, just before chirstmas

Not sure if they are still importing tho.

Could possbily see if one of the oldschool ozzy boys, mostly spencer can sort out some sort of deal with shipping it over.?

If I have cash in a bit, i might be keen to import one for a hilix, could maybe do a joint deal.

also, fuck, sorry realised I forgot to reply to your message re wheels

they are 14x8

I guess zero offset they sat flush with outside of guards

195, 45, 14 inch tyres I think (ask RB drifter)

all that was done to the guards was cutting out the inner bit and rolling them as I have described in the past.

• 1 month later...
Guest japawagons

oh dude why did you take the original mirrors off? Yowzer is after a set if you want to sell them.

You ride height needs to drop significantly to make those wheels look right.

Guest toy-mota
oh dude why did you take the original mirrors off? Yowzer is after a set if you want to sell them.

You ride height needs to drop significantly to make those wheels look right.

didn't really like them,plus one side was very tight and wouldn't adjust and the other side was loose,and the chrome around the edge has chipped off,mite hold onto for know encase i change my mind,i got the new 1's cheap and like them for now

yea i know way to high at the moment

also when i found a guy in chch who wreaks crowns pretty sure he has 1 of the ms110 crowns,it had white interior and that woodgrain on the doors and a fridge,dont know if he would send parts up north tho,when i went there he wanted me to pay him and swap my parts for his lol yea right

Guest flyingbrick

Man, love the cars. The tail lights on these are one of the best designs toyota had I reckon with that rectangle of light- so recognisable.

It loses 1% cool because of the stretch. Just my opinion. I'd love to see one of these on fat as fuck goodyears with the yellow sidewall writing

Covered in bolt on flares that haven't been blended into the body

Painted Matt black or old character filled paint

With no fender or side mirrors

*dreams*

• Like 1

Guest japawagons

Souns like a pain to deal with but might check it out if I'm down south in the near future.

I love the pre facelift 65 mirrors I have a spare pair in my draw next to my bed. Don't tell yowzer that haha.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest toy-mota

not much has happened to the old girl other than a seat cover and floor mats,but ive been driving it to work everyday and the choke has

been staying on,so when i pull up to the lights it just revs fast,it has a exhuast heated auto-choke and i took it apart to clean it out and its rooted,

so im after either new carb,get mine rebuilt or just convert mine to a manual choke (can this be done?)

chur

Guest sheepers

there are electric choke actuators that bolt straight into the factory location.

they just run off a coil feed or something that only has power when the motor is running. they work sweet.

but getting your carb rebuilt is a really good idea, youll get a vast improvement with how the motor runs and it will get better milage if you chuck a sniffer up its spout and tune it after carb rebuild.