Rookie's '74 CB360 Bobber

Rookie

Hey Everybody,

I bought this a while ago off trademe, and have been chipping away at it slowly, I've been working on it all day and am now having a rest so I thought it would be a perfect time to make a build thread.

It was an unfinished frame when I got it that had the motor resting in it, so to say it has been a lot of work is a bit of an understatement.

I spent a while finishing off the frame, and got the motor in it ready to fire up, Tom was helping me and we went to pull the spark plugs out, apparently 1 metric Tom is too much for old spark plugs and it sheared the thread off. So the next week we pulled the head and sorted it all out, then we fired it up.

It looked like this at this stage:

2012-10-22133635Small.jpg

It was only running on one, but never the less we had life, a good start.

So I kept plugging away, it is amazing how long small jobs take, just simple shit like making a battery box, coil mounts, brake levers and the like.

Anyway, I got it running on two (cleaned the carbs haha), but it was still really flat. I figured it was the spark advancer not working, so I pulled that apart and reassembled it but no difference. Anyhow there was still heaps to be done so I soldiered on.

Today I got the headlight, taillight and number plate mounted, stoked!

DSC05721.jpg

DSC05720.jpg

DSC05718.jpg

DSC05719.jpg

So after all that I took it for a ride, it was still running like a dog, but somehow during a second gear pull away from a stop sign, it miraculously started running properly! It damn near threw me off the back of it haha, so stoked, I had a stupid shit eating grin the whole way home.

Anyway, the plan it to work feveriously over the next few weeks to get it ready for cert and summer riding.

Oh I should probably geat my licence at some point too hahaha.

• Like 1

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the front end is off an xl175 that's why it is 21" and tiny brake.

And yea the seat is half a warehouse skateboard haha.

As for the bars, the are better like this than as mini apes when flipped the other way, originally I wanted clip ons but it is hell comfortable crusing down the road like this, so they will stay untill the bike is actually built.

Cheers Chris, Yea I keep telling myself that this isn't my ideal bobber and just do with it what I can, that way I don't get two carried away with changing shit that can just be ridden as is. Permsonally I hate that frame, and I'm not copletely sold on the 18"-21" combo, but it is what it is and if I get a couple of years crusing whille I coble together my dream bike then that's good enough for me. I haven't taken it for any massive runs, but since it has come good it seems to be running mint, so don't trust Americans hahaha

Tom, I bumped the choke and didn't realise hahaha, was all good once it was turned off.

That looks relay cool.

I had a CB360 bobber when I was living in wellington it came from Palmerston north, it had a custom made frame but it was swing arm and the exhaust was made to look like a double barrel shotgun.

Wonder if parts of this bike are from the one I had?

Needs a cert, just like a car.

is it hard to get like a car cert or like aslong as brakes and lights work then all gravy? I wana build something out of bits and pieces. somebody said you and jessiejames are coming up to Auckland? try to find me if you are I have old poster for Jessie of his avenger