GuyWithAviator's 1974 Austin 1300

GuyWithAviators

hey I just came across your thread, I feel your pain . I literally just finished rebuilding my mini gearbox just cause the stupid diff housing was leaking .

and I haven't quite found the motivation to put the thing back together. its now just waiting for me to paint it all and then reassemble it  hahahaha

anyway, nice build thread man, good to see others still playing around with the old bmc cars. go the tinny a series!  lol 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey I just came across your thread, I feel your pain . I literally just finished rebuilding my mini gearbox just cause the stupid diff housing was leaking .

and I haven't quite found the motivation to put the thing back together. its now just waiting for me to paint it all and then reassemble it  hahahaha

anyway, nice build thread man, good to see others still playing around with the old bmc cars. go the tinny a series!  lol 

Have you got a build thread for your Mini? Always good to see what others are doing to their BMC lumps. 

At least it's easy to work on, an hour or so to take the engine out on my own, quicker with help, 5 mins to split from the gearbox and not much more to put it all back haha. 

yeah I need to make a build page for it, I've done lots of overhauling of everything, and was getting to the good bit near the end. ready for the first start up. and then I found the oil leaks, that turned into gearbox damage and a rebuild check everything. . .

but the person i bought the (cough) rebuilt engine/gearbox has done a remarkable job of being a douche bag

I got stuck with the flywheel threads had been fucked  . then needing shims/lock tabs for everything,  I've got it all just need to just got to find the motivation again hahahaha

should be a fun little car, has mild cam, new oil pump, new pistons. 40mm side draft and a Nissan pulsar electrical distributor . and I've replaced everything else in the car too.

its good to read others build pages and actually recognize all the parts, nice to see some one else tackling same stuff that your doing.

I've gotten sidetracked buying wheels for the mini hahahaha .

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hey man,

Good to see you persisted with her, like you said most people would have given up. It's cool to see you didn't!

Hopefully now you have those issues sorted you'll be able to get out and enjoy driving it!

P.s - Have you tried tacking a bumpy paddock at 80km/h such as in the video in your signature, lol.

• Like 2

When you put one in your 360 h4nd I'll consider it ;)

Hey man,

Good to see you persisted with her, like you said most people would have given up. It's cool to see you didn't!

Hopefully now you have those issues sorted you'll be able to get out and enjoy driving it!

P.s - Have you tried tacking a bumpy paddock at 80km/h such as in the video in your signature, lol.

Hey thanks man!

Haha the hydrolasitc works well in paddocks but I've never done anything as extreme as the signature.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi I have two of these, one a GT. Great cars really. As to engine mounts the cluth mount is different between 1100 and 1300. I suspect the " thinner" one you bought was an 1100 one .By the way my 1300 is also HK rego

• Like 1

Hi I have two of these, one a GT. Great cars really. As to engine mounts the cluth mount is different between 1100 and 1300. I suspect the " thinner" one you bought was an 1100 one .By the way my 1300 is also HK rego

Makes sense! Seems to be okay at the moment.

Welcome, throw up a build thread for your GT, would love to see it.

Also post comments in here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/35012-guywithaviators-1974-austin-1300/ - rather than the build thread itself. Keeps it tidier and easier to read.

HI

I am unfaniliar with the workings here..postings wise...... but these cars are great but correct parts, and tollerances  example to idler gears, and diffs.  can have destructive results, as I see you have experirnced. Doing it right with good parts, is the key..

• Like 1

The GT is 1972   Oct rego (Same as the 1300 Oct but 1974) 3 owners good condition but needs a little to make it back to GT spec, Vinyl roof and exhaust sytem required.........you are welcome to see it should you like to!

Cheers K