fb's gemini

flyingbrick

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw ya other post- will let you know about steel guards. Yep four BMW headlights on early front. Realistically all I can do to rear is fit matching early front bumper. I'll trim bonnet and things till it looks like the lights had to be there. Not thought much about it as so much else to do- just slowly working through the list of bits needed so I'm as ready as possible for when it comes off the road- still thousands and thousands to spend:-(

I do still need that valance/ nose cut really!

That's a very real possibility kirk. Nothing serious has been done to this current car- may keep it as daily and work on another shell- but who knows.

I don't think it'll look too strange to be honest- rear end just needs nicer bumper.

As a workmate said when comparing panels- if you didn't know it's not correct- it'd be hard to guess. Doors etc are the same obviously- just rear end is a little more 80's looking due to huge bumper and lights.

Will see what happens.

Just an FYI, HP tuners is about $1000 for a licence, so it works out cheaper to go Megasquirt if you actually want to tune it.

A glide will bolt to an LS, so no problems there, you have to get the right offset flexplate and a torque converter to suit, but all the parts are easily available.

Should be mean.

hurrrahhhh ls1 is good, i now have one also.

DTech motorsport in Tauranga can retune these no trouble and get some good gains out of a reflash.

I just bought the neccessary addaptor pieces to run a Chev box on the LS1 can send you the links if you want, cost like 80bux us all up or something, was fukall any ways.

Apparently easy to get running as the loom and ecu is bascially stand alone for hte engine so can run factory ecu and loom easy enough.

Look forward to seeing progress/issues so I can learn or vice versa lol

Can definatly recommend Dtech, have had engines built, cars built and cars tuned there multiple times before and they have been great.

Havent looked into wiring tooo much but a mate who does that sort of stuff for a job reckons they are not to bad, will be starting on mine in the next month (going to get fitted and running in my spare chassis ) so will let you know how i get on .

If a re chip or other tuning stuff looks like it'll be more than $450 then I would recommend megasquirt. That's what it cost me landed. then buy tunerstudio for $60. you would then be future proof and can tune it all yourself. it is very easy and great fun learning it all in the progress.

Please put a manual box in this car. pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

I wanted to try something strip biased- and I don't enjoy manuals as much as I used to- personal preference I guess.

I've driven and ridden in quite a few built auto cars over the years and find them a total thrill- just plant foot and hold on.

I'm also just not interested in racing around a track... No idea why really! Just love the feeling of acceleration more!

Oh.. And it's a manually shifted auto only so does no shifting by itself... And will spin the tires fine without a clutch to kick :-)

I agree that auto will suit this build. But it has to be like a 2 speed so its like baaaaaa-booooooo when you go down the strip.

but yeh these big v8s are lush with autos. even shitty old 4 speed ones. don't need gears when you got talks. Its a PITA driving a manwell falcon/commodore v8. auto all the way

• Like 1

Cheers.

The other reason for going glide is that it's a tiny and light box which I can strip and rebuild myself. Trans tunnel work will be minimal. The most common complaint with glides on the street is that it feels like you are leaving the line in second gear- I'm thinking that as the gem will weigh 25-50% less than the yank tanks they usually push this wont he so much of an issue/ I'll get over it.

Wonder what kinda hp would be needed to get the gems front wheels into the air!

• 2 months later...