Beaver's Datsun 120y coupe

Beaver

planning on taking this up to the coromandel for xmas/new years so am just ticking off a few things that need doing to make the trip more enjoyable/sucsessfull. Manual swap will have to wait till the new year me thinks, will give time to grab a a15 and do it all at once.

First job was to sort out rubbing in the back. Gave the worst side a quick runover with the hammer and that solved it (so I thought). turns out with three people in the car its a different story.....

Gave them another working today, should to the trick. Just used a mallet and was pretty tidy. One guard had had rust repairs done in the past so had some filler in there, is messy underneath but you cant tell uess you stick your head under the guard.

that is all

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beaver

Top Posters In This Topic

Right quick update.

Just got back from trip away for christmas and new years etc. Day before we left the carb started pissing petrol everywhere and I suspect it was a jammed float (I figured this out afterwards mind you), so had a rather frantic night in the shed stripping, cleaning and reassembling carb.

Long story short, ticked up over 2000kms over a couple of weeks, with only a couple of hickups (my fault). Had so many piners along the way so it all makes up for it.

IMG_1824_tn.jpg

IMG_1829_tn.jpg

(boot/backseat is loaded with shit hence gay rake....)

Wof is due March so have a few things to sort out for that (found some rust, and need to get front springs captive/shorten shocks). Will then look at aquiring a15 and manual gear.

Discussion http://oldschool.co....e/page__st__120

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_1928_tn.jpg

Doing some things Ive been meaning to do for a while and also geting things sorted for a WOF.

• Front struts are out, need to get 20mm taken off inserts (unfortnatly the original oil filled gear has been replaced).
  • Replaced sway bar linkend bushes with new nolothane (what a ripoff....)
  • Dummied up chin spoiler, needs some tweaking.
  • New oil filter and oil change
  • Diff oil change

//oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page__st__120

chin spoiler all mounted up, looks tough. had to trim a bit out of the length but pretty good fit considering its mad for a mk2 golf (I think).

Talked to autolign, will take my shocks into them to get shortened (50 bucks each but meh, save sthe hassle of tryign to get a local engineering place to do it), hopefully take them in tomorrow and will be ready next week.

Then everyhting is ready to go back together and should be all legit for a wof at current hieght/appearance etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Engine has starting pissing oil and coolant on the floor.....

Looks like most of the oil is coming from the valve cover seal so will replace that, and the oil pressure swich has been leaking for a while so will get a new on as well.

Coolant is strange though, its hitting the floor near the back of the motor, no obvious leaks, and seems to be dripping from the bottom front engine of the gbox. Thought for a bit that maybe it was a BHG but oil change a few weeks ago showed no water/coolant. Possible that there is a frost plug on the back of the motor (within the area hidden by the belhousing)?

Doesnt use "much" oil and water just needs a small top up occasionally so not really concerned, its just messy as fuck haha

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Beaver

WOF achieved, nothing major, new muffler was the worst.

Carb shat itself today, has done it before and couldnt be bothered pissing about with it so swapped it for another I had, worked a treat.

Have bid on an a15....cant affored it but worth a shot haha.

Bring on Nats!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Beaver

Survived nats (well car did, my body is stil revovering....)

2dsh2k4.jpg

After seeign the calibre of cars on hand, Ive decided it is too slow and needs more low.....

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well the car hasnt left the garage since nats....still covered in shit haha

Although have been piecing bits together for manual swap, only driveshaft left to go then will pull motor and box out and give in a whirl. Will likely have to come up with something for the gbox xmember as the interwebs tells me the manual one wont bolt in. Can either make some adaptor plates or make another xmember.

Also need to check out a suspect frost plug and replace if required, Where does one get frost plugs from?

Also Fly wheel bolts, I assume I should get new ones? Do I need special ones or just some grunty high tensile ones from the nuts and bolts shop?

discuss //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page__st__160

Right, motivation levels are high. Have everythign I need for manual swap except driveshaft (have a few leads workign on it for me however). There is a high chance I will need to make up some adaptor pates for the gbox x-member although no biggy.

Also picked up a set of bike crabs from Denham, should be a bit of fun. I think i will have to run extractors (what a shame...) with these as the facotry intake and exhaust manifolds are botled together with a little flap inbetween so wont really work. (well I could make a up a blanking plate and bolt it on.....but is a good excuse for a nicer exhaust I guess)

Onwards!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a clutch pedal!

shame it doesnt do anything. Swaped out pedal boxes today and replaced firewall blanking plate with clutch cable guide thingy.

Looking to pull motor and box out over the long weekend and will see how things go, hopefully get it all back together again as well.

• Like 3

More progress!!

3 pedals!

P5260132_tn_zpse7f2121e.jpg

Bonnet off

P5260133_tn_zps83bc559e.jpg

Radiator out, everything disconnected from engine

P5260135_tn_zpse4a2314b.jpg

Auto shifter etc out

P5260136_tn_zpsd8db1b16.jpg

Current sate of affairs/state of chaos in the shed

P5260137_tn_zps6ddeebb0.jpg

Need to get my axles stands back of Joe (cough cough) so I can get it off the ground then pull out driveshaft etc and disconect shit from gbox (speedo cable, wiring, vacuum shit).

Then grab engine crane from the mighty vivaspeed and rip that bitch out.

Repco was having a sale today (25% of shit, including oil) so though of stocking up on that for the swap but Im too lazy.

I think (famous last words....) I have everything I needs, the only think I know needs doing it modifying or making an adaptor for the cross member. Will line shit up and take it from there.

bit more progress tonight

mocked up carbs on a spare head, fit perfect!

IMAG0132_zps4cc89f48.jpg

pulled intake and exhaust off to aid engine removal. also got rid of any excuse for sticking it back together with original carb for start up....

IMAG0138_zps81d5a328.jpg

nice to see engine has had a once over at some stage (old owner mentioned this I think)

IMAG0136_zps8b25c2ae.jpg

and couldn't help myself

IMAG0139_zpsce48e8c9.jpg

Also if anyone in Welly wants to stand around and talk smack and have some beers then welcome to drop by this weekend, ill be ripping the engine and shit out and hopfully getting all the manual shit back in

• Like 4

more progres!

Big thanks to KK for helping out/telling me what to do and Shaz for yelling abuse

Pulled engine and box out. Took off auto and associated crap.

Located fucked frost plug in back of block, ripped out. Engine shat all over the bench. yum yum

Tomorrow, clean engine bay, clean motor, flush block good and proper, and fingers crossed Repco will have a

plug for me.

Pic dump. (All out of order, fuck it)

P5310139_zps1939a9c8.jpg

P5310138_zps9786efc1.jpg

P5310137_zpsd63a0bff.jpg

P5310135_zps1c1fd53e.jpg

P5310132_zps9f0ad652.jpg

P5310131_zpsc7fbe249.jpg

P5310128_zps7dd82aca.jpg

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-11

spent another few hours in the shed (again, huuuuuge thanks to KK)

Cleaned engine bay and motor

P6010128_tn_zpsa337cd3b.jpg

P6020129_tn_zps56f6b0bc.jpg

Replaced frost plug

P6020130_tn_zpsd0d8b8c4.jpg

Put shit together

P6020131_tn_zps50975bc1.jpg

Put in the hole

P6020132_tn_zpsf027fa71.jpg

And carbs on to keep up motivation

P6020133_tn_zps414929c0.jpg

Need to get some extractors (factory exhaust manfoold is gay and has an open port which bolts to factory intake which is now in the bin)

Need to get longer throttle cable to reach new carbs (Bike cable should work)

Need to make up litle adaptors for gbox xmember. Have this sussed out so pretty straight forward.

Then fill everything back up with fluids and (try) do a skid

discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/33955-beavers-wuntwennywhy-coupe/page-11

• Like 3