63Ragtop's 63Ragtop

10Speed

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, when your welding panel steel like that, it might help if you turn down the current a wee bit, and turn down the feed a wee bit, and stack the welds a bit closer.

are you using Co2 ? because theres some contaminating factor in those welds perhaps argo/shield might help,

are you cleaning your earth points, including the clamp ?

I'm not the greatest welder, but for panel steel your a bit feed and current heavy there :P

thanks for that advice nigel, welder is a gas/gasless model but it's been trashed within a inch of it's life, nothing to hook the gas up to, also the wire was very old, which I was told makes it shitty.

Got some new flux core wire awhile ago, it is much better. also the clamp pretty much fell off the earth wire it was so worn, crimped it to other side of the handle, these pic's are a couple years old, hopefully I'm improving.

and 10speed, I fuckin love that green car too, but I think my car should stay red too, everyone knows it's the fastest colour.

have always liked ruby red

002-2.jpg

Your welcome mate. I've done alot of gasless welding and it's certainly got it's place but I wont even consider welding anything on the capri with it. I usually use it for making brackets, and outdoor stuff. Sometimes exhaust parts, like welding up a leak. Or making steel work benchs, fixing a BBQ or a brazier.

I goes down like powder, it's like draging or pushing a powder pool, strange to weld with. Easy enough to do a great weld with though. I think it's actually harder to weld nicely than standard, wire with a argon/co2 shield.

Gassless wire, ... It's very very poisonousness, BOC used to refuse to sell it to you unless you had a breathing system, never ever breath the fumes.

Haha yeah, surely.

Only bit I've been able to find is bottom of passenger door and hood.

Had the windows fixed when I had the seals out, and the steel all looked good when the motor/gearbox was out.

But I will have to look at a repaint/clear coat soon as the paint has worn through almost everywhere.

• 6 months later...

awesome work man, i know it was a mission on my Fiat, but its mostly squares, roundy bits, sheesh!

try an old sack with sand in it too good for bashing curves in, similar principle to shot bags but 0.1% the price.

This photo here reminds me of my old one(s) - my first one was this colour, then i got a cream one (like MJ Foxs) and had those rims on it.

Fuck yeah, student loan lump sum living costs!

002-2.jpg

Would love another VW :(

• Like 1

Cheers boys, it's like anything though, practice, practice...

Prolly looks better in the pics than real life, it's not 100% perfect, a bit of bog will be needed, still better than half a kg of lead in the bottom of the engine lid, always wondered why the spring wasn't strong enough to keep the lid open.

• 3 weeks later...