GB400 Café Racer Project

Duke Blackwood

Have same bike/year in brown. Needs to be revinned. Just got it running last night after carb rebuild. Although missing its airbox & a K&N in place. Jets currently in the carb (Keihin VE10) are 45 & 110. Not sure if they are standard or has been rejetted at some stage but sounds awesome ands runs well. New tyres going on Bridgestone Battleaxe BT45's. Mine has the dual seat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Gidday fella, how are you getting on? I've got a GB400 tucked away downstairs, it's the daily ride but a bit scruffy round the edges, and my plan is to start the big cafe racer conversion over next winter. Mine's a mostly stock dual seat version. My plan in it's current iteration goes like this (note- actual order of stuff to be done not yet finalized. Results may vary)

1.) Modify tank. I want to keep the original, but my intention is to remove the aft lower side bits, and continue the straight line of the front lower tank edges all the way to the rear, if that makes sense. That should expose the frame rails all the way back to the seat. Then paint the tank white.

2.) Remove and biff dual seat. My current replacement is a dime city cycles off the shelf one, when I can afford it. Looks a bit like the original single seat, but lower profile. And brown.

3.) Remove gross airbox and other nasty 80's japanese plastic bits through the middle. Replace with a pod filter. Probably thrown the carb through an ulltrasonic cleaner at the same time, before re-jetting.

4.) Remove battery, replace with new smaller battery relocated up under the tank, where the top of the airbox sits at the moment. Possibly relocate fusebox to the same place if I'm feeling adventurous.

5.) I'm mostly going to leave the motor alone at the moment as it's going well, but I'll have it out of the frame as I'm going to be de-tabbing/welding on new tabs as required, so I'll soda blast it while it's out just to clean it up cosmetically. I think they look pretty cool without the cover on the drive gear so I may leave that off when it goes back together, just not too sure about the practicality.

6.) Intending to do the same as you regarding the exhaust, mine's got a single BMW silencer on it at the moment that sounds sweet, but is ENORMOUS and won't really fit with the aesthetic so I'll probably try to cut the headers and replace it with dual short revers cone mufflers mounted under the motor

7.)Wheels. Dismantle, powdercoat matt black hubs and rims, the rebuild with new spokes. Whitewall tires. Or firestones. Or whitewall firestones? Now that would be sweet..

8.)Front end. I've just rebuilt the forks, but I want to strip the lowers and repaint matt black. Also powder coat the triple trees and clipons the same color. I'll reinstall the clipons below the top triple tree when it all goes back together. I'll probably ditch the tacho and relocate the warning lights somewhere, and possibly replace the speedo with a newer unit. Either move the headlight forward and lower the gauge cluster, or replace the headlight altogether. I really like the combo jobbies like on this bike:

6069065437_b5c2f09ae4_t.jpg

gb400 cafe 8 by timsleep, on Flickr

But not too sure where I'd find one.

Possibly new switchgear too, plus those sweet gummy brown grips.

9.) Rearsets? Possibly. For a start I'm just going to machine the originals down and see how it goes, but if the riding position isn't right I'll look at putting some on.

10.) The original mudguard, chainguard, rear grab rail and any other bits round there that look at me funny will go. I may have to come up with a new, smaller mudguard.

11.) There will no doubt be changes to the lighting, brake and indicator lights too, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

All in all a few bits to keep me going on with. Got the summer to finalise the plan, then start saving for the bits. This is the bike as it looks now though:

8123370019_b87c4beef2_t.jpg

Surf Report by Lightrap, on Flickr

Hey Team,

If you have your own GB feel free to posts pics in this thread, we'd love to see 'em!

Punkposta, There's a guy who I think operates in Hamilton (?) that will make a single seat from your dual seat pan and get this, he will hand craft the seat to a mould of your arse! apparently they are the most comfy seats ever and he'll do it for under $500 I was told.

Kimber Charmans Motor Trimmers 06 843 6969

and Butch, I love your plan with the tank, that sounds awesome, although I dunno about white... Also i've been told (By a mechanic with a few GB race bikes) that the standard carb will not tune to a pod filter so you might have to re-think that one. How much will it cost to relace the spoked wheels? My Spokes are painted chrome, yucky. It's a shame none of you buggers are in New Plymouth.

My project update: paint's drying on my front brake caliper and soon it will be treated to a complete rebuild with every pad, disc, seal, bolt and piston replaced. It should stop like a new one. That's one of the last big jobs before it becomes road legal, expect quick progress then!

• Like 1

hey man nice bike. i just recently bought a gb400 and am looking for cafe ideas. I really want a single seat and would like an under exhaust straight from the box muffler thing. if anyone has an aftermarket exhaust swing some tips of jetting etc. also interested in air box removal and rear fender removal. oh and im from Brisbane. 380884_256877514440243_1669160425_n.jpg

Hey Lew155 welcome to Oldschool. That's a neat photo you've taken and a cool bike, I'm diggin' the knee pads on the tank haha. Did you ditch the front mudguard or a previous owner? Because I've heard that removing the front guard on a bike of this vintage can adversely affect handling as they act as a fork brace? If you do take the air box off don't biff it as you may find your standard carb won't tune without it. Keep us posted on your progress :)

If any GB owners get a moment, would you mind posting a pic of the fastening hook that latches your seat down? Mine was missing when I got it and I've never seen another? Better yet if you have a spare seat latch ill buy it off ya! Cheers guys.

Hey dudes, check out the brand spanking new stoppers (If only they had something to stop! I've only ever ridden this thing to the end of the road once!)

DSCF6640_zpsd3c993c8.jpg

Don't go falling in love with that Honda Blue, it's days are numbered...

DSCF6638_zpsfaa60b76.jpg

Next move, save for a couple of weeks then buy a battery and new tyres. Then save again, Vin, then the fun starts!

Anyone have any tyre sugestions?

and Butch, I love your plan with the tank, that sounds awesome, although I dunno about white... Also i've been told (By a mechanic with a few GB race bikes) that the standard carb will not tune to a pod filter so you might have to re-think that one. How much will it cost to relace the spoked wheels? My Spokes are painted chrome, yucky. It's a shame none of you buggers are in New Plymouth.

Hey man, I know some guys here in Chch that have recently done a conversion of one of these to a pod, they had a bit of gaff but got it done in the end so I'll have a yarn to them. Not sure how much the wheels will be, but I know it's easy enough to do for bicycle wheels so it can't be that bad, right? Famous last words.

hey duke,

I took the front guard off and I havn't noticed any difference in handling at all. I have however noticed an increase in road gunk hitting my face. I had heard the fork brace idea before but gave it a go and yea cant tell the difference.

Okay that's good, I think i'll run without a guard then. I'll make the original one available for sale once I've put it through the Vin. I'm thinking i'll put a massive front tyre on it, the same size as the rear, to get that symetrical/muscular look. It has a 90/90 18 up front and a 120/80 18 on the rear. I think a 120/80 18 should fit up front and look very staunch, without comprimising the handling too much... please let me know if people have tried this on other bikes and failed? You don't often see a bike with a massive front tyre so there must be a reason people don't do it.

Butch, let us know how you get on whet it comes time to relace your wheels.

yamaha-xs650.jpg

07_07_2011_yamaha_SR_500_monkey_01_big.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1310305815061

catwoman.jpg

Fat front tyres, matching rear, look good.

Ok team, it might not look like it, but shit's happening.

I've got my new rear tyre fitted 110/90-18 Metzeler Lasertech. It will get the same on the front after the VIN. At first I thought this was the ugliest freakin tyre i'd ever seen but it's growin' on me.

DSCF6657.jpg

It is very, very close to being VIN-worthy now. I just have to bleed the front brakes, install the battery & I might also chuck the rear view mirrors from my Shadow on her to look a little more legit. The one thing i'm waiting on is the seat hook latch I am missing to arrive. I'm buying one from a guy wrecking a GB400 on Trademe. VTNZ have happily informed me that it can pass a VIN as kick start only, YAY!

DSCF6656.jpg

It wont be how I want it in time for the show, but that's ok, it still looks good. As soon as it gets vinned I'll have two weeks to do all the modifications I can. I have a pod filter and exhaust heat wrap on the way from the states, and this baby arrived this morning...

DSCF6660.jpgBOO-YAH! It's straight open and not bad quality for costing under $100 new! The end cap is removable as well so I can install and remove baffles for warrants...SWEET! I've decided the bike will get a shed job rat-paint before the show so that it doesn't look so standard. I've also been in touch with Kimber Charmans motor trimmers who say they'll recover my bench seat with pleated leather for $150! So then it will look sweet even two up.

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=551200881

http://www.trademe.c...px?id=551200881

Here's two sweet finished projects that have boosted my motivation. Thanks for following my build!

• 3 weeks later...

So there have been some set backs, my speedo drive cable was broken, but I fixed it. I discovered the backlight lamps for the speedo were missing, so I replaced em. I re-assembled it incorrectly (Missing a washer on the rear axle) so my rear wheel was lose and chain went slack. The bike shop that I wont name (The same place that has twice now reemed anglia4 brutally), where I spent $500 rebuilding my brakes, is now suggesting they might still not be up to Vinn spec and they want two hours to fix 'em at $75 an hour. GRRAAR. They reckon they're gonna sand out my rear drum, but then it might not be within it's wear out tolerances and i'll have to get a new one...

FROM THEM!

angry_gorilla_small.jpg

I might stop going there.

But anyway, provided I get my bike back today it's going in for it's Vin tomorrow and then I just have to prove I own it, stupid system.

My twin seat is in getting recovered, I can't wait to get that back.

My little jaunt into the shop was the first time i've ridden the bike and I loved it! It has a speed warning light which comes on at 85kmh...

it gives me the heebee daba GB's haha.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I failed my Vinn.

Shit.

But I've almost got her sorted, she failed on:

- Loose grips

- Swingarm play (Rooted bushings)

- Front tyre

- Blown lamp

- Brake light switch

From the top:

- He told me to glue my grips but that's gross and those grips aren't long term so i cut the ends off, put horrible end caps on and wired the grips on like a race bike (With help from anglia4)

- I've got a race bike machinist dude making me some swingarm bushings from Phosphor Bronze (Expensive) because plastic ones wear out regularly unless you grease your swingarm every ride (apparently)

- Front tyre was a pain because I wanted to run a 110/90 but the original guard wont fit and it needs a guard... you'll love my solution to this dillema pictured below.

- VTNZ blew the lamp by trying to use my rooted electric start which I TOLD them not to do. Easy fix.

- They also stopped my brake light switch working by fucking with it, a tiny adjustment and now it works fine.

Mondo 110/90 18 front tyre, same size as rear. Next time i'll put a rear tyre on the front, they have a way cooler tread pattern.

DSCF6729_zps3caa3109.jpg

Obviously the standard guard wouldn't fit over that, so I made this new guard mount with the help of Dad Blackwood.

DSCF6735_zpsf2a150b0.jpg

And used it to mount the hori-est mudguard I've seen on OS.

DSCF6737_zpsa345c41d.jpg

This guard is so Rangi, I almost want to keep it. It's off a KX80. Hopefully it inspires someone to make a dual purpose GB scrambler with knobblies and a really tall rear. That should see me through my Vin reGUARDless.

DSCF6683_zpsb6d95665.jpg

I've been working on my tank decal too, I made up a stencil but it's too big. Unfortunately I'm back to work tomorrow for two weeks, so the bike will be completely standard (Except for that tyre) for Bikes, Blues and hot Cars. My realistic goal is to have it running and legal. That way I'll beat anglia4 by default if he doesn't get his slack ass into gear and put his bike back together! Two weeks Jeff!

• Like 1

Oh and I almost forgot, My double seat has returned, re-covered... It is an awesome improvement over the heinous standard double seat.

I told them to ditch the grab strap, shave the foam so that it is all one level height and use pleated leather on top. $130 including shipping, awesome value.

DSCF6738_zpsdab6ef2b.jpg

DSCF6739_zps76f9e8df.jpg

Is that front tire on backwards?

Nope, I checked too. It looks wrong eh, like I say, next time i'll just use a rear.

Everyone at the workshop was like "No, no you can't put that on, oh, you're wrecking your bike!" but you should see it in person, it looks mean!

And it's only good for 120kmh at the mo, how well does it need to handle? haha.

Hey I might have to get you to take this in for it's recheck for me...