AGMC Tohatsu Time Machine

Testament

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

ok something happened to the timing/points at random.

now the engine kicks back like a mule on p when you try to start it. if you pull it hard enough to get it to actually turn over without ripping the skin off you hands it starts and juuuuuuust runs, and it fires and alternates direction of crank rotation......... :lol:

Those victas are really reliable last time I heard.....

Anyway, We know nothing about this motor. I had a quick look for timing marks but found none, so we are just winging it. I think the only thing for it is to keep playing with the timing, but it seems odd that it was running and now it isn't.

could it be the decomp playing up? what type does it have?

i had similar problem on a tecumseh once. felt like it was timing but nothing was wrong. Would kick back, rip arm off etc and chuff some smoke but never start. So i just put another of my engines on the mower...however i did then strip it down and it had super heaps of carbon build up er where and the head gasket showed signs of leaking. otherwise it was mint so i was stumped. i put the coil and flywheel off it onto my bike and they work fine so the problem wasn't spark... they have the port/slot style decomp not an external poppet style one.

there is a manual decomp valve but you never use that. has frikken mean comp otherwise. from observation the points open and the piston is still 10mm or more from tdc which seems like way too much. hence i think i will just slot to the plate more to get the spark happening at or close to tdc