Sam's Hillman Hunter wagon.

Project Discuss: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34606

Been after one of these for a while. Finally won this one on tardme. Also have a complete wagon for spares. I'll be heading to Picton city to pick it up Tuesday.

Needs a polish:

220667066_full.jpg

all in all seems pretty tidy though.

220670528_full.jpg

Plans are:

*sort wof and reg

*clean & tidy

*Get the standard rims widened 13x7.5...or something like that, paint them cream with polished hubcaps.

*Lots of low

*Fit sounds & hide them accordingly

*roof rack?

*drive the shit out of it.

Ok so I got it home. Had a bit of spare time today so gave it a wash, and had a rummage inside. Here's the pics:

Just unloaded off the trailer

SAM_4678.jpg

Found these in the glovebox, I love this kind of stuff

SAM_4672.jpg

Its got heaps of sweet period stickers:

SAM_4679.jpg

Interior shot, then i found the rear seat folded up

SAM_4673.jpg

to find heaps of oldschool breakdown gear

SAM_4674.jpg

including the "Plug O Matic"

SAM_4675.jpg

and some sweet period overalls

SAM_4676.jpg

with this logo on them:

SAM_4677.jpg

Any ideas????

Also I started polishing it, its looking good. More pics when I've finished the whole car.

No pictures this time. Good news is that It passed its wof 1st time!!! Fuck yeah. Bad news: Starter motor decided to shit its pants in town today & the heater fan decided to stop working too. So tomorrows job is strip the starter motor & see whats gone wrong. Other than that its super nice to drive, goes way better than I expected. Stereo installation is also on the agenda tomorrow. I scored a oldschool suitcase from the recycle centre for $2.90 so I'm planning on hiding some 6x9s & a small sub inside it.

Well so much for my starter motor rebuilding skills.... Starter motor crapped out at the warehouse in a cloud of smoke.

I headed down to the wreckers & found they had a very squashed & sad looking hunter wagon. Managed to salvage the starter motor from that & a complete Hunter badge. My one only had "___NTER" left.

Second saga of the day Was driving out to the old folks place, suddenly It decided to get very hot.... I hope its just a stuck thermostat. I did notice that the heater doesn't heat. the pipes in the engine bay get nice & hot but doesn't seem to make it to the core. The valve looks to be seized so i'll have to sort that soonish.

Somethings missing.....

SAM_4691.jpg

Took the radiator to the local radiator place. He chuckled and said "its fucked mate." Then he wondered off out the back, and came out holding a brand new core!! turned out he had been sitting out the back,in the box for the past 25 years. Score.

Something else is missing too

SAM_4694.jpg

the wheels are going to get widened. Should come back as 13x7's.

Heres the audio I picked up for $82.90, including the suitcase.

SAM_4692.jpg

And i gave the dash a good clean

SAM_4693.jpg

• 1 month later...

Ok so still waiting on the wide steels. I decided to tackle the broken heater. What a bastard of a Job! Anyway after "customizing" the heater tap I now have a heater.

Customized tap:

SAM_4723.jpg

Gave these a good cleanup & re-dyed the carpet for the centre console:

SAM_4721.jpg

Fucked:

SAM_4724.jpg

Putting the dash back together:

SAM_4722.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I've had drama after drama with this thing.

Even after replacing the radiator & thermostat it was still getting hot. So I removed the new dayco thermostat, boiled the jug & threw it in. It didn't open.

Grabbed the old stat out of the shed, threw it in & it opened as it should do.

Banged that back in & I was away.

Then was driving home from town & it started popping and farting. Got to the point were it was undriveable. replaced the points, condenser & rotor arm. Good as gold again....

Now just to tackle all of the oil leaks..... I love old cars.

Just driving the shit out of it at the moment. Still waiting for my wide steels.

SAM_4779.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seeing as my wide steels are now ready & there is a show and shine on this weekend I decided to get the Hunter some lowness.

So struts came out:

SAM_4827_zps6cc034d4.jpg

Leading to this:

SAM_4826_zps406b086a.jpg

replacement struts with bunnings XU-1 Lowering spring:

SAM_4825_zps06e7bb3d.jpg

slapped them in. Now it looks mega high in the back:

SAM_4829_zps4a5fbd0a.jpg

Looks tougher from the front, Just needs the new wheels:

SAM_4828_zpsffed08ca.jpg

So now its just a waiting game. Waiting for the 3" blocks from Mr.i500gt & waiting until I can use the tyre machine at the local garage.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent some time rolling the rear guards so I get no guard rub. I really dont want the fuzz giving me hassles. Also I polished up my hubcaps and stuck them on. Took it for a spin and every time I hit a bump I was getting a loud banging noise from under the centre console. I instantly thought the drive shaft must be fouling on the body somewhere. So I had look and this is what I found:SAM_4911.jpgA long screw from the centre console was hitting on the driveshaft. Took the screw out, fitted a shorter one, problem solved!Heres a couple more pics. Pretty chuffed with the way this thing looks.Dat ass.SAM_4915.jpg Luxury dashSAM_4917.jpgOld school spec smelly & Tiki thingy SAM_4916.jpgSAM_4899.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

In true British style It broke down again the other day. Felt like it was running out of petrol cruising along at 80kph, then it died. So I pulled over, and it started right back up again. It would drive OK at 50kph then anything over that would just cough & splutter. Knackered fuel pump came to mind.... So limped home & pulled it off. Pulled the top off the pump & found this:

SAM_4942.jpg

Packed with muck! Cleaned that shit out, blew out the fuel lines, Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...

Wof time. Last time around I knew the rear spring bushes were fucked. Loads of side play in the slogged out rubber causing the axle to move and do all sorts of queer stuff. So got these from work :)

SAM_5043.jpg

Greased them up with the "eze grease." and smashed them in....Flash!

SAM_5045.jpg

I've ordered some superpro front eye bushes because for some stupid reason Nolathane don't do them! Then I'll chuck it through for a wof this week coming.

Now to deal with all these other heaps of shit

SAM_5046.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

With the nats looming I've started getting this log ready. First on the agenda was give the cooling system a good clean out. I already fitted a new radiator but It still wasnt Ideal. It seeped water from the water pump gaskets & thermostat housing gaskets & It still got hot randomly. I stripped the front of the motor to find this:

SAM_5101_zpsed3cd137.jpg

Major Alloy corrosion. It had almost eaten right through. Water was leeching through the alloy. So that called for New stuff.....

And by the magic of internet.......

SAM_5100_zpsb2b01d3b.jpg

BOOM!

New water pump, new gaskets, 2nd hand thermostat housing, new cooler 77 degree thermostat & some paint to tidy that shit up.

Next up chin spoiler. I got a boot spoiler for free from the local wreckers. I'll try make it fit:

SAM_5094_zps1a9581d9.jpg

SAM_5095_zpsd50fd4dc.jpg

I also got this sun visor:

SAM_5096_zpsa4f36770.jpg

Boot is loaded up with triumph parts at the moment resulting in this:

SAM_5093_zps95ce6994.jpg

& its still not on the bump stops.

I'm not a fan of the low rear High front look. So I'll have to try get the front down another inch or so.

SAM_5098_zps0d77e951.jpg

SAM_5097_zps9d6204f8.jpg