Evilre's Mazda 929 Wagon

evilre

Discussion http://www.oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34427

Hi all, This is my current project, brought off Trademe back in Aug 2010, I took abit of a chance in buying it as I only had a few pics of it (car was in Fielding and Im in Hamilton) but when it arrived on the truck, the body looked to be in pretty good shape, very little rust that I could see.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Then I stripped it right back to steel with good old tergo strip, etch primering as I go. Have been stoked with the lack of rust I've found, a few small bits here and there, have welded most of them up though.

Found some custom RX4 5 stud hubs on trademe to go on my coilovers, also made a car trolley on castors (as you can see in the pics) which makes life alot easier in a smalish garage

DSCF1585-1.jpg

DSCF1586.jpg

DSCF1590.jpg

DSCF1597-1.jpg

So next up I started doing some small rust repairs, welding up holes in the engine bay and cleaned about 35 years worth of crap (absolute prick of a job) from underneath the car, and also compleaty undersealed underneath as well.

Also bought some low offset 17x8 ROH Drift R's, thought id see how there gunna look

1-1.jpg

DSCF1787.jpg

2-1.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1740.jpg

mounted surge tank and fuel pumps

DSCF1827.jpg

DSCF1825.jpg

I finally got around to removing all the sound deadening crap from the floor (what a mission that was) and primering all the inside. Im also busy with the engine bay, welding up most of the holes etc and getting ready for prime then paint.

DSCF2613.jpg

DSCF2616.jpg

So this is its current state, havent done anything for about 6 months, but gunna get back into it :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update,

Got my nuts and bolts zinc coated at FM surface coatings in the Tron.

Two icecream containers worth for $46, pretty good value I thought.

BoltsOld.jpg

Old and dirty

BoltsNew.jpg

Shiny and clean

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

Time for a small update, its been a while

I have painted all the rear suspension bits and added new nolathane bushes, have also changed the diff to a b1600 and had the rear axles drilled to 5 stud

CIMG4637.jpg

I also made up some brackets to fit some batty seats, tested them out, worked a treat

CIMG4643.jpg

CIMG4636-1.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Guest evilre

Hi all,

Time for a update,

I decided to take today off work to paint the inside of the wagon, after a lot of debate over colour, I went for Laguna seca blue

Paint1_zpsd3cac0c3.jpg

Paint3_zps8b5c9575.jpg

Also dummy mounted my engine and gearbox, I made up a new front engine bracket to get it sitting nice and low and a bit closer to the firewall

Engine1_zps8bdd498b.jpg

and lastly, I sold my rims, they were 17x8, 0p, and when I fitted them, I discovered that they sat about 15-20mm beyond the guards, so I brought these, 17x8.5, 20p (more dish as well) and a much better fit,

wheel1_zps737134eb.jpg

Cheers.