• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not much to report but any progress is good progress.

Replacement gearbox is in, it probably would have taken longer but I had to move the car out of the shed I was renting cos the new owners wanted it empty. Once back in my own garage I had access to such luxuries as light and powerpoints and after much use of light and powerpoints I had my exhaust back together with extra clearance over the diff and a couple of flanges thrown in.

upload_-1.jpg

I put some tyres on the rims and had a test fit, pretty good fit with the 8's, the 9's stick out an inch further due to offset so some work required.

Incoming potato pics

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

And because I can't stop fiddling with things I have plans to modify the cooling and charging areas.

On the cooling side I am going to ditch the engine fan and fit a Volvo 2 speed unit. While at PaP I grabbed a dual thermo switch from a BMW which should have the temp settings I need to have it working properly with the thermostat. An inline housing for the switch is on its way, after a slight mod (tapping it to fit the BMW switch thread) it'll be usable. As far as the shroud, I'll probably fibreglass one up to suit.

For charging I have an RB alternator to replace the stock externally regulated item. The wiring is pretty simple, may need a diode on the field circuit and the pulleys will need to be changed too.

In less interesting news it also has a full complement of new balljoints in it, woooo

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

20151006_143908.jpg

So instead of doing what I needed to do I started something else.

Fan swap. After a quick measure I found that the Volvo fan shroud is a pretty good fit for the Cedric radiator, with a bit of trimming I ended up with this.

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

The rad core is only marginally bigger, about 15mm left to right and 5mm top to bottom.

It's tight but it fits.

upload_-1.jpg

And the dual temp switch and housing

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Electric fan is all done. After trimming down the Volvo shroud I just had to make a couple brackets then wire it up.

Initial tests showed I wasn't going to be able to use the dual speed unit as I originally intended, the ranges of the switches I had didn't match the Cedric cooling system which was always likely.

The first switch opened low and high at 80 and 88 respectively and the second switch opened at 91 and 99.

The second switch wasn't usable, got too hot on the gauge for my liking, even on the low side. First switch was better but the low side triggered at 80 whereas the thermostat opens at 82 so the fan was constantly switching on and off. The high switch (88c) was spot on and would keep the gauge steady in the centre so I ended up wiring both through that and added a switch to select between the high speed and low speed fan, for summer and winter I guess haha.

Testing the switches

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

Switch is on the left on top of the control unit

upload_-1.jpg

Pretty happy with it now.

I still have 1 80-88 switch and 2 91-99 switches if anyone wants them, I also have a spare M14x1.5 tap for modding the switch housing.

I have this to make up one evening now  :)

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

My new internally regulated alternator is now in, ended up getting a re-co'd one which had been bumped up to 130 amps. It came off a TD27 or something, lucked out as it was a perfect fit including the pulley alignment.

Wiring has also been beefed up to cope.

upload_-1.jpg

Removing the external regulator just required a piece of wire and a diode.

upload_-1.jpg

Next on the list is to replace the pulley bearing in the power steering pump. 

upload_-1.jpg

upload_-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

A bit quiet here 

Scored some Nissan stainless monsoon shields off yahoo which I am stoked with.
Had the diff out to narrow a wee bit to fit the 9's better, props to Halcrow engineering, excellent work and a 2 day turn around.

Had 15mm cut off each axle, enough spline so no need for cutting and welding it.

mYMLLiD.jpg

Also replaced the wheel bearings and all the leaf spring bushes while there.

Old
CejH3jY.jpg

New
UKFXeFT.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...