Kicker's H330 260C

kicker

Discussion - //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34338

So here is my new set of wheels

Always liked the 330 shape, would have liked the wagon or hardtop version but they are hard to find and this was cheap and in good condition.

Picked it up from Dunedin, left there at 4pm and arrived in Picton at 2am, 10hrs only stopping for gas. Rained most of the way, was pretty stormy north of chch was freezing while waiting for the 7am ferry and then had a 4m swell in the strait. 

Was a good trip and it ran sweet the whole way.

Here are some pics, it's still dirty from the drive, original hubcaps are in the boot, one came loose so I took them all off just in case. Nice to drive with the lazy auto plus the L26 sounds choice too.

DSCF0360.JPG

DSCF0361.JPG

DSCF0368.JPG

DSCF0362.JPG

DSCF0363.JPG

DSCF0364.JPG

DSCF0366.JPG

DSCF0367.JPG

Plans are: clean inside and out, lower, wheels, fender mirrors

• Like 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Haven't done much, got a wof, still waiting for some blocks

Have bought a few things off Yahoo auctions via Ewan @ Hayatonka

Picked up some stock radio and cassette units

20120722_210232.jpg

I think I have sussed all the wiring out but there is a spare DIN plug on the back of the radio, anyone got any ideas what it's for?

Also got some fender mirrors, the stock 330 items seem to go for about $500 but I found some similar Nissan ones for a better price, they came with the leccy adjustment knobs too

20120801_205649.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest kicker

Update!

Have done a few things since last time, I found after putting the blocks in that the rear shocks were rubbing through the brake line. I moved a couple mounts on the diff, bent up some new lines and chucked in some new shocks which were slightly skinnier and all was good again.

I got some rims from Japan a while ago, finally cleaned them up and got tyres on them. Had to change out my wheel studs to fit them and have the exhaust raised as it hung down to low. Don't know why I didn't do it sooner, just need to get them widened now. Also looks like they are legit SSR Superstars based on the remains of some old stickers I found on them.

20130207_181232.jpg

DSCF0632.JPG

Oh and have a fresh WOF too

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time

So I took this up to Hawkes Boes, it ran well.

So now I am onto carbs and exhaust

Started pulling stuff off and putting things on

10955057245_bfef98596a_c.jpg

Hopefully after tomorrow I'll have it ready to go to the exhaust shop to have the headers hooked up to the rest of the system.
I have also bought a new clutch master to try and reduce the pedal travel, stock was 5/8". Wilwood spacing is 2.25" so will bolt up, might just need to swap out the rod.

10955237314_fbf6388438_c.jpg

On the topic of changing gears, I had heard that it was possible to combine the FS5W71B and FS5W71C boxes (from 80's and 90's Skylines etc), I have a B box from a 280zx. There are a number of sites which document how to fit the B bellhousing onto the C box to allow it to bolt up to an L series block, it requires some machining to allow the larger 62mm countershaft bearing and a 16mm shift rod to fit. The downside is that the shifter sits even further back and driveshaft and crossmember mods are also needed. I don't have room to move the gear lever back as I want to keep my console as it is plus not having to get cert would be good too. Whilst 'homing from work' I found a Japanese site where they rebuild C boxes into B housings here, this would allow me to keep everything else as it is, there is some good info on the site I just need to spend some more time deciphering it.
Also in the depths of the internet I heard a whisper that an LD28 gearbox is already machined for the larger bearing and shift rod which saves some hassle and dolleros. Conveniently  one had just popped up on Trademe so I snagged it and a driveshaft for $30, apparently they had come out of a diesel Laurel. Props to K-trips for picking it up.

Diesel box

10955150186_8a38b4543d_c.jpg

The shift forks seem to be the same size as C items

10955153696_1db483febb_c.jpg

Bell housing with larger bearing hole and clearance around it

10955288283_74f2ea6f45_c.jpg

So the plan now, if it all pans out, is to source a C box from perhaps an RB20 or S13/14, rebuild it and put it in the diesel B box housings.
From what I can tell, in order to get it to fit the rear B housing the C gears will need to be assembled on the B main shaft and there may be a small issue with the gear selection striker being smaller but I'm hoping that since the diesel internals seem to be C spec that it won't be an issue.

If anyone has any info or corrections on this stuff I will gladly take it, I'm just trying to suss it all out before taking the plunge

• Like 6

I had a closer look at the striking lever today, comparing it to the info here it looks similar to what he has identified as S13/S14 which is good but there seems to be two versions, hopefully the donor box I get has the same as what I have.

10972350416_615fb4e838_c.jpg

From the sounds of things these can be a pain in the bum to reassemble, I assume it's due to needing to get the position on the shaft correct so I'll make a jig for it before I take it apart.

Oh and here is why the box was cheap

10972266675_b4ac29f0c1_c.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally installed a working stereo

Here is the Sony headunit and front speakers

DSCF0841.JPG

and the rear speakers

DSCF0843.JPG

Surprise!

DSCF0848.JPG

Head unit in console and speakers are under the dash, rear parcel tray has been covered in speaker cloth. It's got bluetoofs too for less wires, yay

I also scored some proper fender mirrors from a hardtop. They normally sold for about 25000 yen which I why I have some from a different model on at the moment, however I managed to somehow find some which hadn't been identified properly so snagged them.

DSCF0849.JPG

I think they'll look good with the rest of the chrome on the car. What say ye?

DSCF0835.JPG

DSCF0836.JPG

DSCF0837.JPG

This turned up the other day, cheers to Mark and Joe for helping with logistics.

S14 gearbox to mash together with the LD28 box I have, that'll be a post Nats activity I think.

DSCF0853.JPG

Also on the driveline subject, I have an H190 LSD currently on its way from Japan with help from Alex at Moonlight Racing :)

Last of all, I had a yarn to a guy today about fixing up the paint that peeled off when I took the moulding off, it only took 18 months haha

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Have done a few things lately, some are prep for Nats some not.

Found out that going from a 5/8ths clutch master to 7/8ths isn't the best idea, my rippling stair climbing thighs can handle it but it is a bit annoying so I have a 3/4 to try.

Did a cool little mod with the taillights, from factory only the outer two segments of the red lens area have bulbs in them, the inner most is painted over on the inside. A little paint stripper and some bulb sockets and I now have 3 brake/tail light segments yay

330taillights.jpg

I have picked up a 240Z steering wheel which I am halfway through refurbishing.

sw1.jpg

sw2.jpg

Also putting in a multispark setup and electronic dizzy with new leads and coil, have got it hooked up yet as I'm waiting on a small plastic collar that broke off the dizzy in transit.

msd.jpg

Picked up an L28 to play with in future, cheers to Vivaspeed for loan of his engine lift, GC.

L28.jpg

As for Nats stuff, I got my radiator recored :) Just need a wheel alignment, change my clutch master and finish the ignition stuff and should be all good.

cigltr.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Update since last time:

Went to Nats

Put in a CB

20140415_164757.jpg

Took a shitty picture

20140415_161950.jpg

Bought some YAJ stuff a while ago, still need to fit them/waiting for them to turn up, hardtop dash and fender mirrors, H190 LSD, chin spoiler and other little bits and pieces

Finally started pulling apart my S14 gearbox

20140703_120831.jpg

Success, the Deez bellhousing goes straight on

20140703_121233.jpg

20140703_121241.jpg

Comparison between S14 and LD28 bellhousings

20140703_120806.jpg

20140703_120813.jpg

The tail housing will be more difficult

Fun

• Like 5

• 4 months later...