Llama's 1974 CB200 Bobber/Brat Project

Vintage Grumble

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two members semi interested, one has first dibs, but is waiting the results of a test ride up ohope hill, to give an indiacation of power/speed.

Mr Joegoatflange, do you find your one has decent power for a 200? I've only ridden on the flat, but was quite impressed with how it went for its size.

I have never ridden mine. Hah. Bought it with phucked brakes etc. Have almost rebuilt it.

But yea, they are meant to have some minearls. 17hp or something. Same as a KLR250. Which has some dort.

Sure they're no speed demon. But theyre no gn125 either. Who cares if its not quick. They are a very well proportioned little bike. And would be the perfect accessory to anyones lounge/bedroom.

As well as the added ability to go and ride it somewhere then sit back and look at how cool it looks :).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

RITE, well I went for a blast on this a few weeks ago, and it started running a bit funny and then gave up soon after, turns out a carb mount had given up. It now has a new carb mount/condenser/plugs, and seems to be running pretty well, revs out to red line quite smoothly now. It sat on a mates back lawn for a few weeks, so a lot of the very light surface rust has brightened up a bit. Its quite fun to blast round on, and sounds mean, but it may be a little under powered if you plan to go on huge long road trips. Its happy to do 100kmh, no probs, but I doubt if it would do much more than 120/30, and at one point I was riding into a strong head wind, and it wouldnt do much more than 90. (i'm near on 6'4 and 110+kgs, so not very aero dynamic) and I havnt spent much time trying to tune it. The exhausts are pretty much rooted (sounds badass tho), the kill switch dont work, the tail light has a bit of a crack in it, and the kick start seal is leaking (i'll likely fix that) annnnnnnnd thats about all that I can think is wrong with it.

I really need to move this, as we're trying to upgrade house wise, and need all the dosh we can get, so for bike and 350cc motor $1300.

Cheers, VG.

• 2 weeks later...

Mien.

Don't expect that much for now, plans are to:

-Re-register/wof

-Ride

I won't be doing any chop/changing on it until I have sold the MG (the desire to have a project bike is strangely motivating to get the MG ship shape), but I might tinker with the 360 engine I also have in the meantime.

• Like 1

Battery charged up enough to get it kick started, electric start still just makes a funny noise though. Got it to idle at around 1500rpm warm, rather than dying. Feel it is still running rich however, as the choke kills it pretty quick.

Boring stuff as per usual/working on car.

Hmmmmm, I dont know why it insists on running rich, I dropped the needles, maybe they need to go one step lower? I have a feeling the points are poos/causing a weak spark, which could cause the fouling? Points are cheap as piss, slap a new set of them on and see what happens, i've erd they can make a huge difference. Also, Joe/flange/goat has one of these, maybe ask him nicely for hints/tips?