Kickers bikes

kicker

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the garage test track (which is about 1.5m long) initial impressions are that it is easier to ride than the red bike, so all good.

Yeah the chain runs through some shs, I tried just notching the stay for clearance but ended up cutting out a whole section

I added a few more gusset welds too haha

This looks mean!

How many chains have you got joined together?

If it's anything like the timing chain on my tandem, it will stretch to buggery and make sure you carry some quick links for when the ones that you've joined it with break.  Are you going to use chain tugs or are your dropouts too wide?

Loving the notching solution for the rear stay.

Hope that chain doesn't come off whilst bombing down a massive Wellington hill with only a coaster brake!

This looks mean!

How many chains have you got joined together?

If it's anything like the timing chain on my tandem, it will stretch to buggery and make sure you carry some quick links for when the ones that you've joined it with break.  Are you going to use chain tugs or are your dropouts too wide?

Loving the notching solution for the rear stay.

Hope that chain doesn't come off whilst bombing down a massive Wellington hill with only a coaster brake!

Cheers man, not as nice looking as your bikes but good fun.

I've got about 1 3/4 chains on it, thankfully it's a used chain so pre-stretched and I've got some adjustment left too.

I never thought about the chain coming off before, ignorance was bliss haha

add more grease. like regular axle grease. lots of it.

Probably a good idea as a lot of it has come out and is now all over the rim 

• Like 1

I never thought about the chain coming off before, ignorance was bliss haha

I only mention this as it's happened to me whilst riding the Batavus to work (coaster brake as only brake) whilst going over a bump down a hill as the chain was stretched and the rear wheel had crept forward as I wasn't using chain tugs/tensioners at that stage (do now!).  Luckily, it was only a short hill and the road was clear.  Still made me do a little nugget of poo in my gruts though. 

# edit # have you now incorporated the BB shell into the downtube?  Cant see through chainwheel.

Probably a good idea as a lot of it has come out and is now all over the rim 

yeh from what I've read u put like as much grease as possible in lol. like you can't add too much and you want quite thick stuff not super thin lithium spec stuff cos that just leaks out and drys up real fast etc. They fade when the grease cooks and then wear out the grippy things and the shell and then it wont work at all. The hub in my hmx500 was like that. had to rebuild it with parts out of an old kids bike which had the same hub only with less spoke holes. Then I found out you can still by the shimano hubs brand new for like $70 lol

a lot of that hi temp lithium grease is really thin. I have heaps for lawnmower gearboxes and weedeaters etc but it seems not to last very long in bike stuff. Just leaks out and drys out as well. I find thicker normal wheel bearing grease is better.  more viscous is better unless you wana rebuild all the time. I heard racing bike guys use lithium grease but they put new grease in before every race