10 5's velobike

mark105

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

made a throttle today and took bike to the drome, ended in fail as 20 year old cam belt liked to stretch and although tests down the road may have gone well it just kept kicking the belt off.

so have added cambelt idler like so

IMG_20120604_200033.jpg

and this is keegan having a burn after i rode it round the block.

th_VID_20120604_181926.jpg

cant see shit but you get the idea, just look for sweet head lamp haha.

prob wont get another change at the drome till next weekend now.

well its on the end of a crank shaft in a fiat twin cam that makes 180hp normally, doesnt have a huge amount of load on it but id say its capable of handling a fair bit.

300cc takes a bit to push start but its generally sweet. we just chuck it up on a wooden tool box to rev it obnoxiously/warm it up cause it push starts easier warm. no reason why i could pinch an idea or 2 from you pete and make a v belt tensioner though. maybe once i got the initial bugs ironed out and manage a few laps round the drome will look at further improvements.

really want to get fly wheel on the lathe and lighten it heaps. weighs a tonne and im sure would allow for more rev's if it was lighter.

My 180HP figure was more in reference to cambelts in general on a modern twin cam fuel injected engine, a standard Fiat Twincam was in no way anywhere near 180HP but in saying that the Lancia Intergrale 16V Turbo is the same engine and exactly the same cambelt arrangement and I would say 180 is a realistic figure for that engine.

Just cause I felt like a rant.

yeh something like that, will be sweet for most small stationary engines anyways. gets a fair bit of a hiding being push started before we put the tensioner on it, jumping teeth and shit all over the place. got some grub screws to hold crank pulley on as im using just some old screws from super cheap at the moment and have lost 2 or 3 of them already from 2 rides round the block hah.

really want to get fly wheel on the lathe and lighten it heaps. weighs a tonne and im sure would allow for more rev's if it was lighter.

is it cast iron? there probably an alloy flywheel out there to fit this engine/vertical shaft version of it. Will be harder to roll start tho

Cam belt only transfers whatever power is needed to turn the cams and open some valves. Does not matter how much power the engine makes, it still requires just as little power to turn the cam and open some valves right?

Not saying a cambelt can't handle a bit of power, but pretty sure engine power has noting to do with cam belt strength

For a normal (or V) belt the maximum power is:

Power = (P1 - P2)*w*®

Where P1 is the tension in the tight side, P2 is the tension in the slack side. w and r is the angular speed (rad/s) and radius of a pulley (both measurements taken of the same pulley).

Tensions are related by P1/P2 = exp(u*theta/sin(a))

where u is the coefficient of friction, theta is the contact angle of the smaller pulley, and alpha is the semi-angle of the wedge (if you are using a V belt).

Looks like I learn something useful at uni afterall... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I would imagine toothed belts get a lot more fucktardly complicated with deflection of the teeth and yadayada. They'd probably just snap before anything.