zep's 1965 HA Viva

zep

As those of you who were at nats 2012 would have seen (or been part of), I have a new Viva.

First of all, thanks to all of you involved with getting it from Wellington to Taupo. It got back to Auckland fine!

This thing is a 1057cc beast, leaf sprung rear and front (transverse) with 12" wheels and drum brakes all round.

Pics from TM:

211592799full.jpg

211592873full.jpg

211592942full.jpg

211593010full.jpg

Plans: slam on widened steels with hubcaps, 1256 Chevette engine (cue ROFLs).

I have already talked to Tony Lynch who says he can use 323 discs and calipers with Chevette hubs to put disc brakes on the front. This will change the stud pattern from 4x4" to 4x100 - he'll also change the rear pattern to suit.

I'll run Chevette steelies - once they are on there I'll figure out how much I can widen them. Ideally I'd like to go 13x7 with 155/65s, but 13x6 might be more feasible.

Rear leaves will be packed up (to stiffen) and reset to a give 2" (or more depending on how the wheels look) drop.

The front, I guess I can do the same. However there is an option to use coil overs if I box section the lower arms and strengthen the mounting at the top and bottom. If I do this I'll probably leave in just one leaf to act as some sort of torsion between the arms.

Engine - the 1256 has to be better than the 1057. Going to try find some headers and a cam, and chuck on a better carb. Looks like people use 40DCOEs but will have to find a manifold. Might be able to use a 40DGAV and make something up, or dual SUs, or dual bike carbs. Shave the head and clean up the ports, and that should do.

Discuss!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=33251

I should probably get a water temp gauge.

The standard gauges look like this:

211593423full.jpg

Options in my price range:

NVU-67127-01.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NVU-6 ... /?rtype=10

NVU-37127-01.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NVU-3 ... /?rtype=10

vdo-180310d.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VDO-180310/?rtype=10

atm-1737_w.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-1737/?rtype=10

What you reckon? I'm leaning towards the first one.

So I figure this needs a stereo, but something not too obvious. There is heaps of room under the dash where the storage compartment is but I don't really want to put a head unit in.

So I'm gonna get one of these:

201317944_full.jpg

and mount it behind a plate under the dash (which is painted cream like the dash). Then I'll find some retro knobs to replace the ones that are on there and it should come up all good. Now to find a discrete speaker mounting place.

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this.

Wasn't running for a few weeks. Put electronic ignition in on the weekend, starts much nicer now on these cold mornings. Also, I got some speakers from Pick a Part which I need to find a place to mount.

• 2 months later...

So I sold the 1256 that I had because I couldn't be bothered swapping the engine.

On friday I had a catastrophic head gasket failure. Out the exhaust it was a smoke screen. From the bonnet, a geyser. Steam was coming out the radiator cap, radiator over flow, air cleaner nose, and literally both sides between the block and the head, it was amazing!

So I'm probably going to need to find another 1256, preferably one that is running.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...